Tom Longboat Award 2017
Aboriginal Sport Circle – The Tom Longboat Awards were established in 1951 to recognize Aboriginal athletes for their outstanding contributions to sport in Canada. With a few exceptions, the Awards have been given out every year since its inauguration. It remains the longest standing and one of the most prestigious awards for Aboriginal athletes in the country.
As a program of the Aboriginal Sport Circle, the Tom Longboat Awards provide a forum for acknowledging the growth and strength of the Aboriginal sport movement in Canada and its tremendous impact on sport development from community level participation to elite level competition. The Awards include a male and female category.
For the 2017 program year, all nomination packages will be forwarded directly to the Aboriginal Sport Circle, where a National Selection Committee will determine the national recipients for the male and female category. The two national recipients will be presented with their Awards at the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on November 9, 2017 in Toronto, Ontario.
The Aboriginal Sport Circle is committed to developing sport that fosters the development of the whole individual. In addition to their athletic achievements, recipients will have demonstrated a personal commitment to the principles of sportsmanship and fair play, as well as to being a positive role model. They will also have demonstrated a commitment towards living a balanced lifestyle – one that develops their physical, mental, cultural, and spiritual capacities.
The Awards honor the accomplishments of athletes within a given program year: September 1st to August 31st. Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible:
- Applicants must be of Aboriginal descent (inclusive of First Nations, Inuit, and Metis).
- Applicants must be actively involved in their sport within the year of nomination.
- Applicants must demonstrate sportsmanship and fair play, as well as being a role model and commitment to a holistic lifestyle.
- Applicants must complete a nomination package and submit it to the Aboriginal Sport Circle on or before the application deadline of September 15th at 11:59 E.S.T. (Ottawa).
Applicants are to complete a Nomination Form and provide supporting narratives. The National Selection Committee will use this information to determine the male and female recipients to be announced on October 1st. The National Selection Committee members are as follows:
- Dr Janice Forsyth;
- Dr Bruce Kidd;
- Dr Vicky Paraschak.
The male and female national recipients will receive the following:
- All expenses paid round trip to Toronto to accept the national award;
- A custom-made Tom Longboat Award ring;
- A $1500 bursary to support personal athlete development.
For additional information on the Aboriginal Sport Circle please refer to www.aboriginalsportcircle.ca.
……the national voice in sport, fitness, culture and recreation pursuits for the Aboriginal peoples in Canada!