Ontario Blues Senior Men’s team victorious in Game 2 of CRC
Ontario Rugby – (BURLINGTON, ON) – The Ontario Blues Senior Men’s team avenged their opening loss to the Atlantic Rock with a strong display on Tuesday night at Burlington Centaurs Rugby Football Club. The Blues did not allow the Rock to score a try, only conceding three penalty conversions. The final score at the end of the match was 22-9 for the Ontario Blues, who were able to secure their first Canadian Rugby Championship (CRC) win of the season.
In the first half, Ontario got things started with a Kolby Francis try. Shawn Windsor completed the conversion to give the Blues the early lead. Cooper Coats of the Rock hit two penalty conversions in the half, but the Blues had the narrow 7-6 lead going into the second frame.
The Blues were resilient in their attack, spending much of the second half in Rock territory. Early on in the second half, Mitch Richardson was able to get past the first line of Rock defense and get the ball off to Windsor who scored right under the posts. He converted his own try to pad the Blues’ lead. Next, after a goal line stand from the Rock, Marcello Wainwright was able to get the ball over the line off of a Mike Smith offload and bring the Blues’ lead to 19-6. Windsor and Coats traded penalty conversions to end the game and the Ontario Blues came away with a 22-9 victory.
Though the Blues secured a series advantage in point differential with the win, the Rock secured a bonus point in their Game 1 five-try performance. With the point advantage, the Rock place first in the East division and will match up against the Prairie Wolfpack in their semi-final. The Blues will face their rivals, the BC Bears in their semi-final on Thursday August 23 in Calgary at 7:00pm ET. More details about the match including the Blues’ roster and streaming details will be announced shortly.
For more information on the Ontario Blues Senior Men’s program, go to http://www.rugbyontario.com/blues-senior-men/.
Tries: Kolby Francis, Shawn Windsor, Marcello Wainwright
Conversions: Shawn Windsor x2
Penalties: Shawn Windsor
Penalties: Cooper Coats x3
Ontario Blues Senior Men’s Starting XV vs. Atlantic Rock – August 7, 2018
1. Rob Brouwer, Lindsay RFC/Ontario Arrows (Capt.)
2. Andrew Quattrin, Aurora Barbarians/Ontario Arrows
3. Tom Dolezel, London St. George’s/Ontario Arrows
4. Tom Van Horne, Brantford Harlequins/Ontario Arrows
5. Ben Jones, Balmy Beach
6. Peter Milazzo, Toronto Scottish/Ontario Arrows
7. Marcello Wainwright, Toronto Scottish/Ontario Arrows
8. Kolby Francis, Brantford Harlequins/Ontario Arrows
9. Riley Dinardo, Toronto Scottish
10. Shawn Windsor, Stoney Creek Camels/Ontario Arrows (Vice Capt.)
11. Josiah Morra, Toronto Saracens
12. Jamie Leveridge, Crusaders/Ontario Arrows
13. Mitch Richardson, Stoney Creek Camels/Ontario Arrows
14. D’Shawn Bowen, Kingston Panthers
15. Nate Boeyenga, Brantford Harlequins
16. Jack McRogers, Aurora Barbarians/Ontario Arrows
17. Andrew Wilson, Burlington Centaurs/Ontario Arrows
18. Mike Smith, Toronto Scottish/Ontario Arrows
20. Matt Fish, Waterloo County
21. Jesse Lofthouse, Markham Irish
22. Kyle Lagasca, Guelph Redcoats/Ontario Arrows
23. Graham Dobbs, Crusaders
26. Emerson Prior, Peterborough Pagans
Head Coach-Chris Silverthorn
Assistant Coach-Cory Hector
Assistant Coach-Aaron Carpenter
Performance Analyst-Rodin Lozada
Ontario Blues Senior Men’s Canadian Rugby Championship Schedule
GAME 1: Blues vs. Atlantic Rock (L 34-22) – August 4, 2018 – Concordia University, Montreal QC
GAME 2: Atlantic Rock vs. Blues (W 22-9) – August 7, 2018 – Burlington ON
SEMI FINAL: Blues vs. BC Bears – August 23, 2018 – 7:00pm ET – Calgary, AB
GOLD/BRONZE: August 26, 2018 – Calgary, AB
About Rugby Ontario
Rugby Ontario is the provincial sports governing body responsible for the organization of rugby in Ontario. Our mission is to establish a stronger identity for rugby in Ontario by promoting the sport’s core values and by fostering a culture of inclusiveness and excellence on and off the field of play.
To learn more, visit http://www.rugbyontario.com/
For more information
Communications Coordinator – Rugby Ontario
647-560-4790 x 1006