Sport Calgary Announces Leadership Transition
Sport Calgary – CALGARY, Alberta – Sport Calgary today announced the following changes to its leadership team, as a result of its long-term executive transition plans, all effective September 1, 2019.
Catriona Le May Doan, O.C. has been appointed President & CEO, with a mandate to grow community sport across Calgary and lead all aspects of Sport Calgary’s operations.
David Benson has been appointed Vice President, with responsibilities including business operations, brand communications, and long-term projects.
Murray Sigler will transition from CEO to part-time Executive Advisor, with a focus on supporting Ms. Le May Doan and the volunteer Board of Directors, as well as strategic initiatives and community partner relations.
“I am pleased to announce these leadership appointments,” said Mary Moran, Chair of Sport Calgary’s Board of Directors. “I’m confident that Catriona, David, and Murray in their new roles will sustain Sport Calgary’s mission and position our organization well for continued success into the future.”
“It’s been an honour to lead this organization over the past four years and I’m proud that Sport Calgary has revitalized its civic purpose,” said Sigler. “Our staff and Board of Directors have grown the impact of nearly every aspect of our programs and advocacy. What a pleasure it’s been to work with such a diverse group of talented Calgarians. I’m looking forward to continuing on a volunteer basis with a number of community sport initiatives that will improve the accessibility of sport in Calgary.”
“I am honoured to be taking the role of President and CEO of Sport Calgary,” said Le May Doan. “I have been fortunate to learn so much from Murray, and I look forward to continuing to work closely with Mary, our entire board, and our small, but incredible team here at Sport Calgary. We will continue to build our relationships with all of our partners, stakeholders, and continue to grow sport in our community and make our city healthier, physically and mentally.”
For more information, please contact David Benson, Vice President at email@example.com or 403-671-1789.
About Sport Calgary
Sport Calgary is a volunteer non-profit society, representing over 200 sport organizations in Calgary as a Civic Partner. As an advocate of sport, we strive to assist, support and influence the growth of sport in Calgary by:
• Playing a lead role in the implementation of the Calgary Sport for Life Policy, and ensuring it continues to create a vision for sport in Calgary from introductory to high performance levels.
• Continually identifying and assessing the needs of the sport community and facility stakeholders.
• Encouraging development and enhancement of appropriate facilities and the efficient utilization of current facilities.
• Fostering collaboration within the sport community and coordination of resources among stakeholders to develop and enhance facilities.
• Increasing the profile of sport in Calgary, and advocating the values and benefits of sport.
• Facilitating education and training opportunities for athletes, coaches, officials, administrators, parents and volunteers.
• Acting as a resource for sport organizations.
• Encouraging the hosting of sport events and sport tourism in Calgary.