Game On Call for Pilot Partners
Game On is a quality sport and leadership initiative for girls aged 14 to 18. This 8-week program is designed to be safe, inclusive, and developmentally appropriate while building leadership competencies in girls to keep them in the game.
We are looking for clubs across the country to join us in piloting this exciting new program either virtually or in-person as possible in your jurisdiction. Clubs will be offered an honorarium for their participation in the program. Read on for more details and apply now!
Why Game On?
As many as 62% of Canadian girls are not participating in any kind of sport and across adolescence, 1 in 3 girls drop out of sport. (Canadian Women & Sport, Rally Report, 2020) This not only prevents girls from accessing the full benefits of sport and physical activity, but it also limits the pool of potential future women coaches and sport leaders who would help to boost representation of women in leadership and to engage and retain the next generation of girls in sport (Canadian Women & Sport, Actively Engaging, 2012).
Game On combines girls-only programming with leadership training opportunities, seeks to produce higher levels of physical activity and value for sport, belongingness, enjoyment, and self-efficacy among participants – key factors that help keep girls in sport (Canadian Women & Sport, Actively Engaging, 2012).
The Pilot Program
Canadian Women & Sport is looking to recruit clubs from across Canada to participate in a pilot whereby club coaches will receive training and then deliver an 8-week program to girls aged 14 to 18. Game On activities can act as an add-on to existing programming or be delivered on its own. Sport clubs would need to commit to the following:
- 2 groups with an equal number of girls in each group (aged 14-18) within the same club,
- 2 coaches (one for each pilot group) sign on to receive training and then deliver the full 8-week program virtually or in-person,
- All participants must have access to the technology to deliver and participate virtually.
How will my club benefit?
Social connection is particularly important – now more than ever – with the impact of COVID-19. This program will provide an opportunity to continue to engage with girls in a meaningful way to help your club and participants recover and come back stronger.
Partner clubs will receive the following:
- Build knowledge and competency – gain access to training and guidance to better understand the needs and motivations of girls to keep them involved in sport
- Professional development – Access to free licenses of the Keeping Girls in Sport e-module provided to participating coaches and club leader
- Financial support – $1250 honorarium to support activities associated with the pilot
- Swag & pilot materials package – hard copies of the program guide and participant workbooks, along with some Canadian Women & Sport swag to be provided
- Networking opportunities – share and learn with other organizations from across the country
Partner clubs must commit to the following timeline:
- May 3rdst to 21st – Coach training and participant recruitment (1-2 90-minute trainings)
- May 25th to July 25th – 8-week program execution
- July 26th to August 13th – Research Interviews
If your program season aligns with this timeline or you would like to have the opportunity to participate in this unique and exciting experience for program leaders and girls, then submit your interest here!
Deadline for submissions is Monday, April 12th, 2021 at 5:00 PM ET.
Should you have any questions regarding your submission to this pilot, please contact Terri Temelini, Program Manger at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Canadian Women & Sport
Canadian Women & Sport is dedicated to creating an equitable and inclusive Canadian sport and physical activity system that empowers girls and women—as active participants and leaders—within and through sport. With a focus on systemic change, we partner with sport organizations, governments, and leaders to challenge the status quo and build better sport through gender equity.