Equestrian Canada National Equine Disease and Welfare Surveillance Call: March 6, 2019
Equestrian Canada – Please note that the next Equestrian Canada (EC) National Equine Disease and Welfare Surveillance Call will be held on March 6, 2019, at 12 p.m. EST.
The call will be facilitated by Dr. Melanie Barham, DMV, PMP, Co-Chair of the EC Health & Welfare Committee and Ontario Animal Health Network Coordinator at the University of Guelph. Please note that the call will be recorded for online publication.
Toll Free Call-In Number: 1-855-392-2520
Access Passcode: 4610643
12:00 p.m. – Welcome/Introductions – Dr. Melanie Barham
12:05 p.m. – Dr. Holly Helbig from the Hawthorne Veterinary Clinic
- An overview and update of the equine influenza cases at the World Equestrian Center (WEC) in Wilmington, Ohio, and the biosecurity practices put in place.
12:20 p.m. – Alison Moore from the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
- An update and overview of the recent equine herpes virus cases in Ontario.
12:30 p.m. – Dr. Mary Bell from the EC Health and Welfare Expert Group
- An overview of the importance of vaccinating for contagious and infectious disease for proper herd health and when attending off-property functions.
12:40 p.m. – Dr. Cheryl James from the Canadian Animal Heath Surveillance System
12:50 p.m. – Dr. Yves Rossier from the EC Equine Medications Control Committee
- An overview of the updated Canadian Pari-Mutuel Agency (CPMA) Elimination Guidelines, which will come into effect on April 1, 2019 for all levels of EC sanctioned competition. These changes are to better adapt the information in the CPMA Guidelines to the current trends and use of medication in Equine Veterinary Medicine.
1:00 p.m. – Discussion/Questions – Dr. Melanie Barham
A printable PDF of the call information and agenda, along with previous National Disease Surveillance Call recordings, can be found at www.equestrian.ca/industry/health/disease.
In Case You Missed It…
The previous National Equine Disease & Welfare Surveillance Call took place on Feb. 6, 2019. The top five takeaways were:
- The National Farm Animal Health and Welfare Council is working towards regulatory cooperation with industy groups and provincial, territorial, and federal governments on the devleopment of “Animal Health Canada”.
- National farm groups will be begin the development of the Code of Practice for Livestock and Poultry Transportation in Canada. An overview of the scope of the code and the devleopment process is provided by the Natioanl Farm Animal Care Council.
- The Equine Disease Communication Center (EDCC) provided an overview and discussion of the report for 2018 of equine disease (as reported to the EDCC) in the US and Canada.
- Dr. Kent Fowler provided an overview and statistical data of the equine herpes virus in the US.
- Equine Guelph will be hosting the Internation Society for Equitation Science 15th International Equitation Science Conference on Aug. 19-21, 2019.
If you weren’t available to participate in the call, you can access the recording below or by visiting www.equestrian.ca/industry/health/disease for a full list of all previous recordings.
Questions or topic suggestions regarding the EC National Equine Disease & Welfare Surveillance Calls can be directed to:
Manager, Welfare & Identification
1-866-282-8395 x 130
EC Media Contact / Personne-ressource de CE pour les médias : Jessie Christie