Ballot Nominations Confirmed for 2019 Equestrian Canada Board of Directors
Equestrian Canada – Ottawa, ON, July 8, 2019 – The Equestrian Canada (EC) Nominating Committee is pleased to announce the slate of six candidates selected for presentation to EC’s voting members for consideration as Directors on the 2019 EC Board.
A total of nine qualified candidates provided a nomination package by the close of the nomination period on May 15, 2019. All candidate applications were reviewed by the EC Nominating Committee members, who are as follows:
Dominique Chagnon (Chair) – Calixa-Lavallée, QC
Mike Boyd – Etobicoke, ON
Krista Foley – Sackville, NS
Winona (Noni) Hartvikson – Langley, BC
Lisa Kavanagh-Ross – Ailsa Craig, ON
Lorraine MacDonald – Terra Cotta, ON
Jean Szkotnicki – Moffat, ON
In accordance with EC’s By-laws and the Nominating Committee’s mandate to ensure EC has a rigorous nomination system that allows for the recruitment of qualified individuals to stand for election as Directors, the Committee members performed an in-depth review of all applicants. As a result, the Nominating Committee members have unanimously agreed to put forward ballot nominations for the following six individuals:
- Bernadette Alexander – Calgary, AB
- Mark Goldman – La Minerve, QC
- Doug Orr – Lethbridge, AB
- Carla Robin – Langley, BC
- Chris Sorensen – Caledon, ON
- Beth Underhill – Schomberg, ON
Further information on the candidates, including candidate profiles and letters of interest can be found at www.equestrian.ca/about/governance/board.
In 2019, there will be five (5) Director positions to be filled.
As per Bylaw 4.2, d) Transition:
Commencing in 2019 and for every year thereafter unless changed in accordance with the By-laws and Act and subject to increase to fill any vacancies for the remainder of a term, the number of Directors to be elected shall be the number of Directors whose terms expire in the same year as the election.
- Four (4) positions will be for a three (3) year term ending in 2022; one (1) position will be for a one (1) year term ending in 2020.
- Note that following the resignation of one (1) of the Directors, whose term was to end in 2020, the Board did not fill the vacancy in accordance with Bylaw 4.14.
The next step in the 2019 EC Board election will be for the EC Voting Members to cast their ballots by Aug. 1, 2019. The results of the election will be announced on Aug. 28, 2019.
– 30 –
About the EC Nominating Committee
The EC Nominating Committee is responsible for:
- Presenting a slate of candidates for the position of EC Board Directors in accordance with EC’s Bylaws
- Ensuring there is an election each year
- Ensuring EC has a rigorous nomination system
- Recruiting qualified individuals to stand for election as Directors
If you have any questions or comments concerning the 2019 EC Board of Directors election, please contact:
Chief Executive Officer
Toll free: 1-866-282-8395 x 135