This position is part of the Part-Time Contract Positions (Employee Group)
Careers are Built at Brock.
As a Top Employer in Hamilton-Niagara, Brock University offers unique opportunities in leadership, teaching, research, student support services, and administration. We have a history of developing the strength and career potential of our employees.
We are on the cusp of something new and exciting. We are launching into our next 50 years and are looking for people with passion, energy, and a strong desire to help our students achieve their goals.
Experience Brock, experience success.
Experience the Benefits of Working at Brock.
Learning and career development are natural elements of an academic environment. At Brock, career development is ingrained in our culture. On average, 45- 60% of our staff position hires are a result of internal movement**. Our Senior Leadership, Staff, and Faculty help drive our collaborative culture. Learn more about how our employees feel about their employment experience at Brock University by visiting http://www.brocku.ca/careers/testmonials.
** 2016 metrics
Post End Date:
Note to all candidates: This posting will close at 12:01 am on the date listed .
July 4, 2022
The Head Coach, Men’s Rugby will oversee a university varsity program that consists of up to thirty-five (36) student-athletes and a coaching staff of up to four (4) assistant coaches and support staff. The Head Coach, Men’s Rugby shall personify the values of Brock Sports exemplifying equity, diversity and inclusion in all aspects of student athlete development in a safe sport environment.
This position is a part time renewable contract. Candidates must be available evenings and weekends during the competitive university sport season August 1 through to November 15.
A Day in the Life…
Reporting to the Associate Director, Brock Sports, the Head Coach, Men’s Rugby shall perform all coaching duties consistent with the operation of a successful varsity sport program including:
• In collaboration with the Varsity Coordinator, designs and implements a sport annual plan that positions Brock University to achieve provincial prominence. The annual coaching plan shall include: athlete recruitment, team selection, personnel management, team and individual goal setting, tactical and technical preparation, scheduling, practice planning and game preparation, team building, athlete management, scouting, athlete performance evaluation and feedback, program evaluation, and maintaining ongoing regular contact to ensure support of student athletes.
• Develops and implements the overall sport schedule (including training camps and preseason competition, practices and team functions) and monitors/ensures all logistical/operational team components, (including travel administration) that aligns with budget/expense and team revenue generation targets within the financial plan.
• In collaboration with the Associate Director, the coach shall prepare a program plan that creates and evaluates program performance targets and evaluation measures.
• Working in conjunction with Brock Sports Performance and Brock Sports Medicine team, coordinates the Integrated Support Team (IST) program necessary to fulfil the sport science support (Strength and Conditioning, Sport Medicine, Nutrition, Sport Psychology) required for a competitive university sport program;
• In collaboration with the Student Athlete Services Coordinator, ensures participating student-athletes meet all necessary and required eligibility regulations as set out in the Brock University, Brock Sports, OUA rules and regulations and assists student athletes with non-academic student athlete supports as required;
• Remains current with knowledge, trends and practices that are necessary to build and maintain a competitive program. Attends OUA league and coaches’ meetings and ensures compliance with all league regulations.
• Collaborates and maintains positive relationships with other sport governing bodies and associations at the local, regional, provincial, national and professional levels to enhance the sport for both the University and the Niagara Region;
• In collaboration with Brock Sports staff, promotes and implements enhancements to the men’s soccer program through fundraising and alumni initiatives;
• Maintains strong communication with the Brock Sports Study Hall Coordinator in monitoring and assisting student-athletes with academic progress;
• As an integral member of the Brock Badger team, is at times expected to support other programs, participate in University and community initiatives, and attends University events as requested by the Director/Associate Director.
What you will need to succeed:
• Minimum NCCP Competition Introduction/L2 World Rugby certification.
• A minimum of three (3) years coaching rugby at a competitive level, at the college, university, provincial or national level, or equivalent, with a proven record of integrity and demonstrated skill in developing and motivating student-athletes both academically and athletically.
• Comprehensive knowledge of rugby coaching systems, tactics and strategies to teach, coach and prepare student-athletes to compete at their highest level;
• NCCP Safe Sport and a satisfactory Criminal Records. Check with vulnerable sector screening as required;
• Knowledge of OUA rules and regulations and policies, and knowledge of Brock’s academic system is an asset;
• Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community;
• Understanding of Canadian anti-doping polices ;
• First Aid and CPR certification is preferred; Mental Health First Aid training is an asset;
• Proven exceptional organizational, communication, interpersonal and administrative skills;
• Flexible and responsive to changing needs in a dynamic and fast-paced environment;
• Valid Ontario driver’s license with an acceptable driver’s abstract.
Brock University currently* requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if they are working in-person on campus with other employees, students or members of the public. As a condition of being hired, employees in these types of roles will be required to provide proof of full vaccination, or provide proof of a bona fide medical/human rights exemption. *Subject to change.
Brock University is actively committed to diversity and the principles of Employment Equity and invites applications from all qualified candidates. Women, Aboriginal peoples including those who identify as members of First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples, members of visible minorities and racialized groups, people with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) persons are encouraged to apply.
Please include in your application: Cover Letter with position title, Resume/CV, and a list of three (3)References (that includes both email and phone contact information). Deadline: Monday July 4, 2022
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Please note that Brock University currently requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if they are working on campus and/or in-person with other employees, students or members of the public. As a condition of being hired, employees in these types of roles will be required to provide proof of full vaccination, or provide proof of a bona fide medical or Human Rights Code exemption.
Brock University is actively committed to diversity and the principles of Employment Equity and invites applications from all qualified candidates. Women, Aboriginal peoples including those who identify as members of First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples, members of visible minorities and racialized groups, people with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) persons are encouraged to apply. We will accommodate the needs of the applicants and the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the selection process, as outlined in the Employment Accommodation Policy https://brocku.ca/policies/wp-content/uploads/sites/94/Employment-Accommodation-Policy.pdf. Please advise: email@example.com to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated through this process. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
At this time, initial interviews will be conducted virtually.