Update: Canada’s teams advance at Olympic Games
July 31, 2021: Canada’s beach and men’s indoor teams are moving to the elimination rounds of the 2020 Olympic Summer Games in Tokyo.
The beach team of Sarah Pavan (Kitchener, ON) and Melissa Humana-Paredes (Toronto, ON) won Pool A with a perfect 3-0 record entering into the next round. They will play Spain (Liliana/Elsa) on Aug. 02.
“We have been preparing for this for the last four years,” said Humana-Paredes, after their final pool-play win. “I think we prepared extremely well both physically and mentally to show up the way we are showing up right now.”
Also on the beach side, Heather Bansley (Waterdown, ON) and Brandie Wilkerson (Toronto, ON) will play Claes/Sponcil of the USA on Sunday morning in Tokyo (8 pm ET Saturday in Canada). They went 1-2 in their pool play.
The men’s indoor team started with a dramatic loss in five sets to Italy, followed by a loss to host Japan and two dominant winning performances over Iran and Venezuela. On Sunday morning at 9 am JST in Tokyo (8 pm ET Saturday evening), they face Poland for their final pool match. The men advance to the quarter finals no matter how the Poland game plays out.
Here’s how to keep track of the action:
Follow along with the National Volleyball Teams
CBC Sports is the official Olympic and Paralympic broadcaster and the hub for volleyball action.
- Follow along here: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/volleyball
- View the CBC live streaming schedule here: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/streaming-schedule
- For more on Tokyo 2020: https://olympic.ca/games/2020-tokyo/
- Olympic schedule: https://olympic.ca/tokyo-2020-olympic-schedule/
- Paralympic news: https://paralympic.ca