Tyler Magner Takes Possession of Yellow Jersey After Opening Stage
Tour de Beauce 2019 – Bruno Langlois comes in as a late addition, and takes fourth place
(Saint-Georges, QC – June 19, 2019) American cyclist, Tyler Magner, representing Rally UHC Pro Cycling team, won the opening stage of the 34th Tour de Beauce after a brilliant final effort in the final meters of the 177-km stage.
Winner of the Grand Prix de Saguenay on Sunday, Quebec’s Nicolas Zukowsky (Floyd’s Pro Cycling) took second place, followed by another cyclist from the United States, Brendan Rhim (Arapaho|Hincapie p/b BMC).
The leading trio crossed the line at the same time of 4:15:15. In fourth place of the stage, fifteen seconds behind, we find the tireless Bruno Langlois (Brunei Continental Pro Cycling), 40 years old, survivor of the breakaway of the day after 145 kilometers up the road.
Magner will wear the yellow leader’s jersey at the start of the second stage on Thursday in Lac-Mégantic. The latter gave every one of efforts with 50 meters from the line on a difficult finish featuring an uphill slope.
“The first hour was very difficult. The last kilometer as well!” summed up the winner, who is at his participating for the fourth edition in Beauce.
The 177-kilometer, three-loop race between Saint-Odilon and Lac-Etchemin took place in 4:15:15.
Mexico’s Ignacio Prado Juarez (Canel’s-Specialized), Canada’s Adam Jamieson (Team Canada) and Quebec’s Bruno Langlois led most of the event, showing a maximum gap of six minutes on the peloton.
In the last portion of the stage, three other riders, including the winner Tyler Magner, managed to join the race to give some much-needed help to the riders in the first break. Prado Juarez and Jamieson finally cracked with less than 10 kilometers to go.
Contracted late Tuesday night by a foreign team, Langlois arrived in Saint-Georges less than an hour before the start for his 21st career Tour de Beauce. The veteran is still looking splendid in preparation for next week’s Canadian Championships. Until now, he had only one road race in 2019.
“I was contacted at the last minute. I was at my shop Vélo Cartel and had just made a ride with customers. I took a moment to think about it but everyone told me to come! I knew that on endurance, I had experience. It would have been fun to make a podium,” said the former Canadian National Champion.
Last year, Langlois made the same effort by jumping in the breakaway of the opening stage.
He missed by a few points the best climber jersey that now belongs to the Canadian Adam Jamieson. The white jersey points will be worn by the Mexican Prado Juarez, while Zukowsky will wear the red jersey of best young rider.
Many good climbers will want to shine on Thursday during the 169-kilometer long queen race that starts at Lac-Mégantic at 10 am to finish at the top of Mont-Mégantic National Park.
The yellow jersey could change at the end of the final climb of almost six kilometers.
The Tour de Beauce will crown its 2019 champion on Sunday, June 23rd.
RESULTS – TOUR DE BEAUCE
Results – Stage 1
1. MAGNER, Tyler [RALLY UHC CYCLING] 4:15:14
2. ZUKOWSKY, Nickolas [FLOYD’S PRO CYCLING] +0:00
3. RHIM, Brendan [ARAPAHOE | HINCAPIE P/B BMC] +0:00
4. LANGLOIS, Bruno [BRUNEI CONTINENTAL CYCLING TEAM] +0:15
5. PRADO JUAREZ, Ignacio De Jesus [CANEL’S – SPECIALIZED] +0:37
Yellow Jersey Ville de Saint-Georges: Leader of the General classification
1. MAGNER, Tyler [RALLY UHC CYCLING] 4:15:04
2. ZUKOWSKY, Nickolas [FLOYD’S PRO CYCLING] 4:15:08
3. RHIM, Brendan [ARAPAHOE | HINCAPIE P/B BMC] 4:15:10
White Jersey Hydro-Québec: Leader of the Points classification
1. PRADO JUAREZ, Ignacio De Je [CANEL’S – SPECIALIZED] 20 pts
2. LANGLOIS, Bruno [BRUNEI CONTINENTAL CYCLING TEAM] 16 pts
3. JAMIESON, Adam [CANADA] 15 pts
Polka Dots Jersey Desjardins: Leader of the King of the Mountain classification
1. JAMIESON, Adam [CANADA] 21 pts
2. LANGLOIS, Bruno [BRUNEI CONTINENTAL CYCLING TEAM] 15 pts
3. PRADO JUAREZ, Ignacio De Jesus [CANEL’S – SPECIALIZED] 8 pts
Red Jersey Le Georgesville: Leader of the Best Young Rider classification (U23)
1. ZUKOWSKY, Nickolas [FLOYD’S PRO CYCLING] 4:15:08
2. PRADO JUAREZ, Ignacio De Jesus [CANEL’S – SPECIALIZED] 4:15:42
3. CÔTÉ, Pier-André [RALLY UHC CYCLING] 4:16:29
For more information:
Communications, Tour de Beauce 2019, firstname.lastname@example.org | 418-227-5894