Nominations Open for 2019 Equestrian Canada Board of Directors
Equestrian Canada – Ottawa, ON, April 2, 2019 – Equestrian Canada (EC) is pleased to announce that nominations are officially open for the 2019 EC Board of Directors.
EC is looking for dedicated individuals with the dynamic and relevant skills to take on a leadership role in the organization. Directors will have the opportunity to help EC effectively deliver on its mandate to represent, promote and advance equestrian sport and all related equine and equestrian interests in Canada.
EC Directors will also have the chance to work collaboratively toward the continued growth and development of the organization, while strengthening partnerships within Canada and abroad.
Prospective candidates interested in serving on the EC Board of Directors are encouraged to download the following package for full application eligibility information, instructions and timelines. The deadline for nominations is May 15, 2019 at 4pm ET.
2019 Equestrian Canada Board of Director Election: Key Information
In 2019, there will be five (5) Directors elected.
As per Bylaw 4.2, d) Transition:
Commencing in 2019 and for every year thereafter unless changed in accordance with the By-laws and Act and subject to increase to fill any vacancies for the remainder of a term, the number of Directors to be elected shall be the number of Directors whose terms expire in the same year as the election.
- Four (4) positions will be for a three (3) year term ending in 2022; one (1) position will be for a one (1) year term ending in 2020.
- Note that following the resignation of one (1) of the Directors, whose term was to end in 2020, the Board did not fill the vacancy in accordance with Bylaw 4.14.
Term Limits: Per Bylaw Article 4.10
Directors shall be eligible for re-election, but no Director may serve for more than six (6) consecutive years. After serving six (6) consecutive years as a Director, an individual may be elected or appointed to serve another term after an absence of at least nine (9) months from the date he or she last served as a Director.
Key Information for Director Candidates
EC is the national governing body for equestrian sport and industry in Canada, with a mandate to represent, promote and advance all equine and equestrian interests. With over 18,000 sport licence holders, 90,000 registered participants, 11 provincial/territorial sport organization partners and 10+ national equine affiliate organizations, EC is a significant contributor to the social, physical, emotional and economic wellbeing of the equestrian industry across Canada.
Director candidates are encouraged to learn more about EC at www.equestrian.ca. Governance information, including EC’s By-laws, audited financial statements and Governance Policy Manual can be found at www.equestrian.ca/about/governance.
The timeline for the 2019 Director Applications is as follows:
- May 15, 2019 – Call for Nominations will close at 4 p.m. ET
- June 10-11, 2019 – Interview period for selected candidates
- July 8, 2019 – Nominating Committee will publish the list of candidates
- July 29 – Aug. 1, 2019 – EC Voting Members cast their ballots
- Aug. 12-15, 2019 – Second ballot in the event of a tie vote
- Aug. 28, 2019 – Election results announced
- Sept. 25, 2019 (TBC) – Introduction of Board members during 2019 EC Annual General Meeting
About the EC Nominating Committee
The EC Nominating Committee is responsible for:
- Presenting a slate of candidates for the position of EC Board Directors in accordance with EC’s Bylaws
- Ensuring there is an election each year
- Ensuring EC has a rigorous nomination system
- Recruiting qualified individuals to stand for election as Directors
The 2019 Nominating Committee is as follows:
Dominique Chagnon (Chair) – Calixa-Lavallée, QC
Mike Boyd – Etobicoke, ON
Krista Foley – Sackville, NS
Winona (Noni) Hartvikson – Langley, BC
Lisa Kavanagh-Ross – Ailsa Craig, ON
Lorraine MacDonald – Terra Cotta, ON
Jean Szkotnicki – Moffat, ON
The EC Nominating Committee looks forward to receiving applications and thanks all candidates in advance for their interest in joining the 2019 EC Board of Directors.
If you have any questions or comments concerning the 2019 Director Application process, please contact:
Chief Executive Officer
Toll free: 1-866-282-8395 x 135