Finalists Revealed for 2019-2020 Speed Skating Canada Awards
Five speed skating clubs in contention for $10,000 grand prize from Intact Insurance to help grow the sport locally
Laurent Dubreuil, a finalist for this year’s Male Long Track Athlete of the Year, celebrates during the ISU World Cup Speed Skating Final in Heerenveen, Netherlands.
Photo Credit: International Skating Union
OTTAWA, ONTARIO – The finalists were revealed today for the 2019-2020 Speed Skating Canada Awards, which recognize significant contributions and achievements by some of the sport’s most dedicated stakeholders – from athletes and coaches, to officials, volunteers and partners.
The winners will be unveiled on our website and social media channels throughout the summer.
Members of the Canadian speed skating community submitted nominations for deserving individuals in over a dozen categories, while local speed skating clubs put together compelling applications for the Intact Insurance Club Excellence Award, which distributes $20,000 in funding to clubs undertaking initiatives that will help grow the sport in their communities.
Join us in congratulating this year’s impressive list of award finalists. Recipients for Coaching and Officials Awards of Excellence will also be revealed later this summer.
Hall of Fame
- Hall of Fame (Athlete): Jean Wilson, Wilfrid Mathieu
- Hall of Fame (Builder): David Gilday, Marcel Lacroix
- Athlete of the Year Short Track (Female): Kim Boutin, Florence Brunelle
- Athlete of the Year Short Track (Male): Steven Dubois, William Dandjinou
- Athlete of the Year Long Track (Female): Ivanie Blondin, Isabelle Weidemann
- Athlete of the Year Long Track (Male): Graeme Fish, Laurent Dubreuil
- Coach of the Year: Gregor Jelonek, Tyler Williamson Derraugh
- Official of the Year: E.W. (Wim) Kok, Yves Michaud
- Volunteer of the Year: Jean-Philippe Lemay, Sue Steckle
- Gagne Family Award: Shields Family, Pearman Family
- Partner of the Year: Ville de Sherbrooke, Greg Bieber
- Intact Insurance Club of Excellence Award: Iqaluit Speed Skating Club, CPV West Island Cyclones, Yellowknife Speed Skating Club, Peninsula Speed Skating Club, Calgary Speed Skating Association
About the Intact Insurance Club Excellence Award
Generously sponsored by Speed Skating Canada’s longstanding partner, the Intact Insurance Club Excellence Award recognizes the contributions of local speed skating clubs to the development of our sport and the importance of grassroots programs to high-performance success.
The award provides funding to speed skating clubs undertaking initiatives that will help grow the sport in their communities: one winning club will receive a $10,000 grand prize and a visit from two National Team athletes during the 2020-21 season. The remaining four finalists will each receive a $2,500 cash prize, an amount calculated based on the number of medals won by the Canadian national team this past season.
Since 2010, Intact Insurance has donated over a $350,000 to speed skating clubs across Canada through the former Podium Tracker program and new Club Excellence Award.
Speed Skating Canada
Award Program Details
ABOUT SPEED SKATING CANADA
Speed Skating Canada (SSC) is the governing body for long track and short track speed skating in Canada. Founded in 1887, SSC is comprised of 13 provincial and territorial associations. Together, we aim to: Challenge and inspire Canada to thrive through the power of speed skating.
SSC celebrates the 63 Olympic medals won by Canadian athletes since 1932 and recognizes the coaches, officials, volunteers and other dedicated individuals who helped them on their journey.