Congratulations to the 2022 WISE Fund Recipients!
Canadian Women & Sport is delighted to announce the names of the organizations selected to receive a 2021 WISE Fund grant.
Since 2004, Canadian Women and Sport has awarded $250,000 in grants through our WISE Fund to leaders and organizations across Canada to help address a lack of funding dedicated to sport opportunities for women and girls. In recognition of the significant impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on women and girls in sport, this year we have expanded the WISE Fund program to award 45 organizations $2500 to advance gender equity in the Canadian sport system.
Our 45 recipients were chosen by our Review and Selection Committees, a group of sport leaders from a variety of provinces and territories and with varied experiences in sport.
This year’s recipients represent 11 different provinces and territories and a variety of organizations from the grassroots to the national sport level. As part of our commitment to equity, over 60% of our grant recipients are organizations or initiatives led by or directly serving Black, Indigenous, or people of colour, LGBTQI2S+ people, deaf people, or people with disabilities.
We congratulate all applicants for their commitment and dedication to equity in sport. We are honoured to support innovative and necessary initiatives like these, and are proud to share the names of the 45 WISE Fund recipients for 2021:
- Alberni District Secondary School
- Basketball Nova Scotia
- BC Wheelchair Basketball Society
- Body Buddies
- Bolder Climbing Community
- Brampton Hill Skating Academy
- Capital District Minor Football Association
- Capital Region Female Minor Hockey Association (CRFMHA)
- Club de Volleyball Everton
- Commonwealth Sport Canada
- Edmonton Women’s Squash Society
- Equality Fitness & Recreation
- Fillactive (Organisation Communautaire FitSpirit)
- German Canadian Greater London Women’s Soccer Program
- Girls and Women in Motion
- Guildford Athletic Club
- Kitchener Minor Soccer U13 Girls Academy Team
- Manitoba Football Officials Association
- Moose Jaw Rugby Club
- Nakkertok Nordique-Nordic
- North Bay Granite Club
- North East United Soccer Club (NEUSC)
- Ontario Speed Skating Association
- Ontario University Athletics
- Ontario Volleyball Association
- Pemberton Off Road Cycling Association (PORCA)
- Quidditch Canada
- Recreation and Parks Association of Nunavut (RPAN)
- Sisterhood Softball League
- Skate Ontario
- Softball Manitoba
- Softball New Brunswick Inc.
- Sports Development Group / Groupe de Developpement Sportif (GDS) – Women In Motorsports division (WIMCanada)
- Squash Canada
- Squash NL
- The Ontario Women’s Intercollegiate Football Association
- The Vancouver Basketball Foundation™
- University Neighbourhoods Association
- Vancouver Pacific Wave Synchronized Swim Club
- Watt Riot Cycling
- Wheelchair Rugby Canada
- Women’s Para Hockey of Canada / Parahockey féminin du Canada
- Yaguars Sports and Social Club
- York University
We are grateful to Sport Canada and to our Review and Selection Committees for their support of the WISE Fund.
About the WISE Fund
A lack of funding dedicated to creating equitable opportunities for women and girls to participate and lead in the sport system is a barrier to achieving gender equity in Canada. With the support of Sport Canada, our annual WISE Fund grants organizations $2500 to help address this gap and advance gender equity in Canadian sport. Learn more about the grant.
About Canadian Women & Sport
Canadian Women & Sport is dedicated to creating an equitable and inclusive Canadian sport and physical activity system that empowers girls and women—as active participants and leaders—within and through sport. With a focus on systemic change, we partner with sport organizations, governments, and leaders to challenge the status quo and build better sport through gender equity.