Bridging the Gap Training Bursary with Lauren Barwick
Ottawa, ON, Nov. 25, 2021 – Equestrian Canada (EC) would like to introduce and invite Para-Dressage athletes aged 18 and over to apply for the Bridging the Gap Training Bursary with Lauren Barwick.
“The sport of Para Equestrian has given me an abundance of opportunities over the years. My pursuit of equestrian excellence has allowed me to develop a business based in the heart of horse land Ocala, FL,” said Barwick.
Barwick, Canada’s most decorated Para-Dressage athlete with two Paralympic Games and two World Equestrian Games medals to her credit has joined forces with EC to provide this unique training and development opportunity to Canada’s next generation of Paralympic athletes.
“Our developing riders need more opportunities that are friendly, supportive but guided from a performance standpoint I am really excited to be able to share my 22 years of Para equestrian experience and be able to help shape our sport for the future,” said Barwick.
Lauren Barwick and Sandrino competing at the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic GamesPhoto Credit: Jon Stroud Media Earlier this year, the five-time Paralympian Barwick closed out the final equestrian event at Tokyo 2020, finishing sixth in the Grade III Individual Freestyle. She has graciously opened the doors to her training facility in Ocala, FL for this annual bursary. “It’s important to me to help keep our sport strong and progressing forward with competitive riders,” said Barwick. The purpose of the ‘Bridging the Gap Training Bursary’ is to develop the next generation of Canadian Para Dressage athletes. Throughout the week, you will receive expert instruction on a variety of horsemanship topics in addition to intensive training sessions.
“The bursary with EC is an exciting new project in the development of Para Dressage in Canada” said EC, Para-Dressage Technical Advisor, Clive Milkins. “An opportunity to train with one of the best clinician’s and horse women in the world to improve both your dressage skills, and an understanding of practical natural horsemanship in a wonderful environment of Ocala, FL, I look forward to working with the successful applicant and watch their para dressage journey”.
Selected athletes will receive:
- Two weeks (5 lessons per week) of private training with Barwick
- Horse board
- EC $5,000 financial bursary to support with transport and meal expenses
The selected athlete will organize directly with Barwick the schedule for these sessions:
- Sessions are to be scheduled for either April or November
- Athletes can decide if they wish to have two weeks of training consecutively, or if they wish to split up the sessions (i.e. one week in April and one week in November)
- Depending on the progression of the selected athlete a competition opportunity is possible.
- APPLICATION PROCESS
Complete the Online Application Form above and submit the following:
- This will include clearly outlining your future goals and your expectations for this experienc
Note: Successful athletes will be required to submit a detailed report to EC following the conclusion of their training with Barwick. This report should highlight what you have accomplished and how your understanding and or goals have changed i.e. how you will use what you have learned to continue your development towards representing Canada at future Paralympic Games
- Provide a video link, of you riding taken either during a competition or during training
- Provide either video competition results or results from a National or International competition (within previous 3 years)
- Three letters of recommendation: one letter must be from a current coach, or a coach who has knowledge of your abilities, describing in detail your experience and capabilities
- The additional letters must be from adults within the dressage/para-dressage community who have working knowledge of your abilities and goals
All applications received will be reviewed by Clive Milkins and the Senior Manager, Dressage Olympic/Paralympic Program for selection.
Applications are due on January 1st, annually with selection being completed on or before January 15th of the same year.
For further questions about the Bridging the Gap Training Bursary with Lauren Barwick, please contact:
Senior Manager, Dressage Olympic/Paralympic Program