Youth Olympic GamesPosted on August 19, 2010
The first ever Youth Olympic Games got underway this week in Singapore. The Youth Olympic Games (YOG) is a sporting event for young people ages 14-18, balancing sport, culture and education. The vision of the Youth Olympic Games (YOG) is to inspire young people around the world to participate in sport and to adopt and live by the Olympic values. The Games take place August 14-26, 2010 and feature:
- 26 sports and culture & education programs
- approximately 3,600 young athletes
- 205 National Olympic Committees
- 20,000 (approx) local and international volunteers
- an estimated 370,000 spectators
The next YOG will be the first Winter Youth Olympic Games and will be held in Innsbruck, Austria January 13-22, 2012.