The Whitby Curling Club is a member-owned, six-sheet curling facility located in Whitby, Ontario. Since its doors opened in 1958, the Whitby Curling Club has been renowned as the “House of Hospitality”. It hosts numerous bonspiels, leagues and competitions. We are seeking an energetic self-starter with great organizational abilities to build upon our history by growing and sustaining our membership through the promotion of curling as our new Manager! Under the direction of the Board of Directors, the Manager plans, coordinates, manages and evaluates WCC Operations.
This is a “non-profit” organization structure, requiring a leader who can focus on member satisfaction and growth with a view to managing a budget and fulfilling the strategic objectives of the Board of Directors. The Manager ensures programs and events are delivered and promoted while identifying growth opportunities to be developed.
While responsibilities cover the full year, the seasonal nature of the business of the Club requires the Manager to work a flexible and variable schedule throughout the winter season. Rentals are included in the off-season curling months and are considered part of this role. This is a salaried position and over the course of the year it is expected to average 40 hours per week.
Salary range is commensurate with education and experience.
Responsibilities and Duties:
The Whitby Curling Club Manager is accountable for the successful ongoing operations of the Club and ensuring long-term success and sustainability of curling at the WCC. Responsibilities include:
- Operation of the WCC as directed by the Board, complying with all requirements of the Club By-Laws, Policies and Procedures and the laws of Ontario and Canada
- Oversight of the facilities including building maintenance and ice, administration, bar services including the supply ordering and inventory, as well as leadership, direction development and support for responsible staff
- Management all financial transactions of the facility, participation in annual budgeting, annual financial auditing, and routine financial reporting to the Board in co-operation with the Treasurer
- Promotion of the WCC and the sport of curling through advertising and community engagement
Education & Experience:
- Degree/Diploma in Business, Marketing or Recreation or combination of education and experience
- Experience with business management and administration including the hiring and development of a team in a customer service environment
- Sound understanding of fiscal responsibilities (budgeting, payables, cash flow analysis) and QuickBooks experience
- Leadership experience in member focused organizations and/or volunteer associations
- Previous responsibilities for marketing and communications/public relations
- Proven track record of establishing and executing effective operating procedures and processes
- Proven success in achieving bottom line results
- Familiarity with social media platforms, websites and communication tools
- Experience working with a Board of Governance model is an asset
- Excellent people skills and ability to work collaboratively in a team and strong independent skills
- Superior written and verbal communication
- Shows initiative, task oriented, and entrepreneurial mind-set
- Ability to challenge tradition, identify problem areas, and implement solutions
- Ideally a curling “enthusiast”, but as a minimum be familiar with the sport of curling