SIRC is honoured to be playing a leadership role on two key safe sport issues:
Universal Code of Conduct to Prevent and Address Maltreatment in Sport (UCCMS), version 5.1
Canada’s national sport community is dedicated to creating a safe and welcoming sport environment. On behalf of the national sport organizations (NSOs), multisport service organizations (MSOs), and Canadian Olympic and Paralympic Sport Institute (COPSI) Network members, we are pleased to provide version 5.1 of a Universal Code of Conduct to Prevent and Address Maltreatment in Sport (UCCMS). The UCCMS will provide the foundation for the development of a coordinated implementation strategy to prevent and address maltreatment across all levels of the Canadian sport system, and for all participants (athletes, coaches, officials, administrators, practitioners, etc.). The UCCMS is a result of an extensive consultation process that sought insight and expertise from within the sport system and from external subject matter experts.
Key resources include:
- Universal Code of Conduct to Prevent and Address Maltreatment in Sport, v5.1 (2019) | Download & Context Document
- Safe Sport Training – Coaching Association of Canada
- Canadian Sport HELPline – 1-888-83SPORT (77678) or www.abuse-free-sport.ca
- Prevalence of Maltreatment Among Current and Former National Team Athletes (2019) – AthletesCAN and the University of Toronto | Press Release & Final Report
- Para-Athletes’ Experiences of Maltreatment (2019) – Canadian Paralympic Committee, AthletesCAN and the University of Toronto | Final Report
- For a list of other safe sport related organizations, reports and policies, click here.
- April 8, 2021 Sport Sector Update | Gymnastics Canada Presentation | Skate Canada Presentation
Concussion Management and Prevention
SIRC has increased awareness and action relating to concussion management and prevention in sport through the #HeadstrongCanada campaign and annual concussion workshops. SIRC’s collection of concussion resources provides credible information and templates from key stakeholders throughout the sport system.
- Concussion Management Resources | Check out the Toolkit
- Concussion Prevention | More information
- Canadian Guideline on Concussion in Sport – Parachute Canada (2017) | More information
- Sport-Related Concussion Guidelines for Canadian High-Performance Athletes – Own the Podium (2019) | More information
- The 2021 Canadian Concussion in Sport Virtual Symposium | Materials