True Sport Newsletter (July)
Sport PEI hosted the U17 and U19 PEI rugby teams at their Rooted in Values workshop. The workshop is designed to help guide the team in creating a True Sport Principles Activation Plan.
Throughout the workshop the athletes learned about True Sport and brainstormed ideas to activate all seven principles over the summer. Here’s what the athletes came up with:
- Go For It: Hold time for post-game question period
- Play Fair: Host a Q+A session with a rugby official
- Respect Others: Appreciate spectators after games before leaving the field
- Keep It Fun: “Room Challenges” with hotel roommates on the road
- Stay Healthy: Host mental health discussion on bus during road trips
- Include Everyone: Select a new warm-up partner you don’t know well every practice
- Give Back: Attend games and cheer on Charlottetown RFC as a team
Follow in Sport PEI’s footsteps and bring the True Sport Principles to life in your own way
True Sport Survey Findings
Back in April the CCES True Sport team asked for your help to complete a survey about the current True Sport tools, resources, communications, and initiatives. Here’s a snapshot of what we discovered:
- Although there is 100% agreement that values-based sport experiences are important. 66% of respondents agree that sport organizations need to do more and an additional 24% somewhat agree that more needs to be done to ensure values-based sport experiences.
- 43% completely agree that the sport organizations they are involved with are intentional about offering values-based experiences and recognize and address threats to positive and healthy sport experiences.
- 69% would recommend joining True Sport.
- Only 29% see the True Sport Principles posted at facilities they visit.
Help spread the word! Together, let’s work towards making the True Sport Principles more visible in our community and foster a safe and inclusive sport environment for all.
Resource Rewind: The True Sport Experience
Calling all coaches and recreational leaders! Are you ready to make your summer camp unforgettable? Look no further than The True Sport Experience – Volume 1: FUNdamentals. This incredible resource offers a balanced approach to physical activity for children aged 6 to 9.
Discover a wide range of activities that can instill character in children, strengthen communities, foster a sense of belonging, and provide opportunities for the pursuit of excellence.
2023 Abuse-Free Sport Webinar Series
On July 12, Karri Dawson, Executive Director of Values-Based Sport at the CCES, participated as a panelist in the 2023 Abuse-Free Sport Webinar Series. Alongside other industry experts, Karri shared valuable insights that focused on the role of sport leaders in fostering safe sport environments.
During the discussion, Karri emphasized the importance of “modelling the behaviour we want, because behaviours are what will create culture.” She strongly believes that we can foster positive culture through a values-based approach. The seven True Sport Principles can fill this role and have been embraced by over 1,000 sport organizations across Canada to help leaders inspire their teams to create excellent sport experiences.
“We as leaders have the ability to create the change we seek, and we need to be intentional about reclaiming the promise of sport.”