Triathlon Canada Names Full Junior Squad for CAMTRI Junior Championships
Triathlon Canada —Rising Canadian Stars to battle for Junior World Championship spots—
VICTORIA—Triathlon Canada will suit up a full lineup of 16 athletes for the CAMTRI Junior Championships in Des Moines, Iowa on July 9, 2016.
The governing body for triathlon in Canada confirmed it will send eight junior boys and eight junior girls to toe the line against the top juniors from North, South and Central America. This critical event on the international race calendar will also serve as a selection race for the 2016 ITU Junior World Championships slated for Cozumel, Mexico, September 16.
The following is a list of Canadians who will start the junior girls’ and boys’ races:
Junior Girls Junior Boys
Emily Wagner – Alberta Charles Paquet – Quebec
Kyla Roy – Manitoba Stefan Daniel – Alberta
Hannah Henry – B.C. Cooper Bentley – Alberta
Laurin Thorne – Alberta Michael Milic – B.C.
Desirae Ridenour – B.C. Oliver Blecher – Ontario
Marika Plourde-Couture – Quebec Pavlos Antoniades – Quebec
Anne-Kim Labarre – Quebec Brennen Smith – B.C.
Payton Ryz – Manitoba Jacob Jamnicky – Ontario
“The future is certainly bright for our sport with this group of rising stars who have tremendous potential racing both domestically and internationally,” said Alan Carlsson, director, talent development, Triathlon Canada. “Not only do we want our team to gain valuable international race experience, but we are also confident each of these athletes will achieve personal best performances and secure Canada a full quota of three entries at the 2016 Junior World Championships.”
Athletes were selected to race in Des Moines under the following criteria:
- Up to two athletes per gender were selected from the top two finishers at the 2015 ITU Junior World Championships who finished in the top-10, in order of finish (Emily Wagner and Charles Paquet);
- Up to three athletes per gender were selected from the top three finishers at the 2015 Triathlon Canada Junior National Championships (Kyla Roy, Hannah Henry, Stefan Daniel, Bentley Cooper);
- Up to one athlete per gender was selected from the winner of the 2015 Triathlon Canada National Junior Series (Kyla Roy previously selected under section 2, Michael Milic);
- Up to two athletes per gender selected from the top three Canadian finishers at the 2016 North American Championships in Sarasota, Florida who finished in the top-10 (Laurin Thorne, Desirae Ridenour, Oliver Blecher, Pavlos Antoniades)
- Remaining team members are selected at the discretion of the Triathlon Canada High Performance Director (Marika Plourde-Couture, Anne-Kim Labarre, Payton Ryz, Brennen Smith, and Jacob Jamnicky).
Triathlon Canada is the governing body for triathlon in the country. Recognized as an Olympic medal sport since 2000 and Paralympic medal sport as of 2016, Triathlon Canada’s mandate is to promote, foster, organize and develop the sport of triathlon, and its related disciplines, in Canada. For more information on Triathlon Canada, please visit us at www.triathloncanada.com on the Internet.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Media and Public Relations