SQUASH CANADA CELEBRATES KEY ACHIEVEMENTS
Squash Canada – Squash Canada’s (SC) 2015-2016 season culminated with a memorable Awards Celebration evening during the Annual General Meeting in Ottawa this past weekend. An evening of celebration, Squash Canada celebrated and honoured some of the great achievements and incredible volunteers who give their time, effort and passion to developing and growing the game across the country, while recognizing the excellence achieved by some of our most talented athletes.
From British Columbia to Newfoundland and everywhere in between, squash is driven by countless volunteers who Squash Canada and our provincial and territorial partners are honoured to recognize annually.
The 2016 Awards Celebration evening featured 3 awards: the Certificate of Achievement, the Certificate of Appreciation and the Award of Excellence.
Recipients on hand received their award presented by members of the SC Board of Directors, including 2015 Pan American Games medalist, Samantha Cornett, who reflected on how incredible of a feeling it was to compete on home soil in front of a wildly supportive crowd that would give chills to anyone who heard it.
The evening concluded with SC President, Lolly Gillen, presenting three (3) outgoing Board of Directors a special award in recognition of their dedicated and valued service as a member of the board of directors of Squash Canada. On hand was long-standing board member, John Roche (Victoria, BC), who has been a driving force behind policy creation for Squash Canada and most recently held the position of VP of Operations.
Squash Canada would like to extend its sincere congratulations and appreciation to all the 2016 recipients. Thank you for all that you have done, all you continue to do and all you will do in the future!
Complete list of 2016 Recipients
Certificate of Achievement: An initiative for PTAs to further honour individuals or companies who have previously received top recognition at the Provincial/Territorial level, and continue to contribute to their Association.
- Tim Bale – Squash BC
- Brenda Cooke – Squash Alberta
- Brenda Cleverley – Squash Manitoba
- Geniève Lessard – Squash Quebec
- Nicole Belliveau – Squash New Brunswick
- Denise Ferry – Squash Newfoundland
Certificate of Appreciation: For major contributions to a host venue of a National Championship, a player or volunteer etc.
- Jeff Deverill: Rankings contributor & Tournament Software expert
- John Redding: President, Squash Moncton
- Wayne Smith: WSF Officiating Committee member
- Steve Wren: Interim Executive Director, Squash Canada
- Robin Clarke: Men’s Athlete Rep (2012-2015)
- Stephanie Edmison: Women’s Athlete Rep (2012-2015)
- Craig Hall: Chair, Doubles Officiating committee (2002-2016)
- Anne Smith: Co-chair, Squash Organizing Committee, Toronto 2015 Pan American Games
- Barb Cooper: Co-chair, Squash Organizing Committee, Toronto 2015 Pan American Games
- Mike Bertin: Chair, Master’s Committee (2003-2015)
- Barry Farguy: President, Squash Quebec (1991-2015)
- Thomas Brinkman: Canadian Junior Squash Championships, Tournament Chair
- Barbara Cooper: Canadian Squash Championships, Tournament Chair
- Matt Easingwood: Canadian Junior Open & Canadian Masters Team Championships, Tournament Chair
- Josh Ginou: Canadian University & College Squash Championships, Tournament Chair
- Jack Hoogstraten: Canadian Doubles Squash Championships, Tournament Co-Chair
- Mike Letourneau: Canadian Doubles Squash Championships, Tournament Co-Chair
- Tom Charlton: Canadian Doubles Squash Championships, Tournament Co-Chair
- Andrew Mount: Canadian Men’s & Women’s Teams Championships, Tournament Chair
- Deb O’Neill: Canadian Mixed Doubles Championships, Tournament Co-Chair
- Pat Richardson: Canadian Mixed Doubles Championships, Tournament Co-Chair
- Jessica DiMauro: Canadian Junior Doubles Championships, Tournament Chair
Award of Excellence
- Shawn Delierre: 2015 Pan American Games (Gold, Men’s Team; Bronze, Singles)
- Andrew Schnell: 2015 Pan American Games (Gold, Men’s Team; Silver, Doubles)
- Graeme Schnell: 2015 Pan American Games (Gold, Men’s Team; Silver, Doubles)
- Samantha Cornett: 2015 Pan American Games (Silver, Women’s Team; Silver, Doubles; Bronze, Singles)
- Hollie Naughton: 2015 Pan American Games (Silver, Women’s Team)
- Nikole Todd: 2015 Pan American Games (Silver, Women’s Team; Silver, Doubles)
- Yvon Provencal: 2015 Pan American Games, Head Coach
- Graeme Williams: 2015 Pan American Games, Assistant Coach
- Melanie Jans: 2015 Pan American Games, Coach
- Tim Marshall: 2015 Pan American Games, Physical Therapist
ABOUT SQUASH CANADA
Founded in 1915, Squash Canada is a non-profit, national sport governing body responsible for the development of athletes, coaches and officials and sets the standards for Canadian squash. Squash Canada is a proud member of the Pan-American and World Squash Federations and participates in the Pan-American Championships, Commonwealth & Pan-Am Games as well as World Championships at the junior and senior level. Each year Squash Canada hosts nine national championships across the country and works with its provincial and territorial partners to promote the growth and development of squash across the country. For more information, please visit www.squash.ca.