SPORT CALGARY SUPPORTS HOCKEY’S “DECLARATION OF PRINCIPLES”
Sport Calgary – CALGARY, Alberta — Sport Calgary today expressed strong support for the Declaration of Principles unveiled by the National Hockey League (NHL) and National Hockey League Players’ Association (NHLPA), as part of a broader group of 17 hockey organizations.
“We eagerly anticipate the activation of this policy at the grassroots level,” said Murray Sigler, Sport Calgary CEO. “The eight identified principles signal a commitment by hockey’s leaders to make the game inclusive and supportive for all participants. Looking beyond hockey, this is part of the encouraging progress that sport organizations are making in improving their sport cultures.”
“We like the initiative taken by the NHL and NHLPA to declare the principles for positive change,” said Catriona Le May Doan, Senior Director Community & Sport Engagement, Sport Calgary. “We encourage them to help local community sport groups accept these principles and also help them implement them. Sport Calgary feels this is in line with the Respect in Sport program guidelines and hopes that all sport groups – grassroots to national – will also develop guiding principles so that all sport participants have great sport experiences and want to stay involved in sport for life.”
In difficult or stressful economic times, sport is more important than ever for its ability to foster community and bring people together. Sport Calgary strongly encourages fans and participants at all levels of sport to embrace the inclusive principles of the Declaration of Principles, as well as other programs such as Respect in Sport, to keep sport a safe, positive, source of joy and camaraderie for all Calgarians.
See www.thisishockey.org to learn more about the Declaration of Principles.
For more information please contact Catriona Le May Doan, Senior Director Community & Sport Engagement, at email@example.com or 403.984.0975
About Sport Calgary
Sport Calgary is a volunteer non-profit society, representing sport in the city of Calgary. In 2017, Sport Calgary was designated as a Civic Partner of the City of Calgary. As an advocate of sport, we strive to assist, support and influence the growth of sport in Calgary by:
- Playing a lead role in the implementation of the Calgary Civic Sport Policy, and ensuring it continues to create a vision for sport in Calgary from introductory to high performance levels.
- Continually identifying and assessing the needs of the sport community and facility stakeholders.
- Encouraging development and enhancement of appropriate facilities and the efficient utilization of current facilities.
- Fostering collaboration within the sport community and coordination of resources amongst stakeholders to develop and enhance facilities.
- Increasing the profile of sport in Calgary, and advocating the values and benefits of sport.
- Facilitating education and training opportunities for athletes, coaches, officials, administrators, parents and volunteers.
- Acting as a resource for sport organizations.
- Encouraging the hosting of sport events and sport tourism in Calgary.