Ringette Calgary is Introducing a New Program Intended to help Keep Girls in the Sport Longer.
September 9, 2019
Ringette Alberta - Calgary, AB, September 9, 2019 - The program, called Flex Ringette, includes the best parts of ringette – being with friends, physical activity and playing games – but with minimal time commitment.
Ringette Alberta conducted qualitative research investigating the viability of various participation contexts, and the result was the creation of Flex Ringette. It was developed to give athletes the opportunity to keep playing ringette after their lives got busy with school, jobs and other activities.
David Myers, Executive Director of Ringette Alberta says, “By the age of 14, girls are dropping out of sport at twice the rate of their male counterparts. Flex Ringette is part of a bigger strategy to help them keep playing.”
Ringette Calgary is piloting Flex Ringette for the 2019 – 2020 season. “The research told us there is a demand. We’ve created the opportunity, so now all we need is the players to register.” states David.
What is Flex?
Flex players can expect to play one game per week, with no formal practices or coaching (though there will be adult supervision).
- When you sign up, you can indicate which friends you want to play with, and every effort will be made to put you on the same team.
- There are two shorter seasons (Oct-Dec and Jan-Mar) and you can pick if you want to play one or both.
- Flex costs $187.50 per season.
- Flex is available for U16 and U19 players with previous ringette experience.
- If you like the challenge and excitement of a competitive game, and you want more than just drop-in shinny, this is a great option for you.
- The registration deadline for the Fall Season is September 15
- More information at www.yourringette.ca/flex/
Executive Director, Ringette Alberta