Northeast Honours Recipients of the 2016 Premier’s Awards for Aboriginal Youth Excellence in Sport
The Aboriginal Sport, Recreation and Physical Activity Partners Council, in collaboration with the Province of British Columbia, launched the regional nomination process in September 2016, receiving more than 130 nominations from across the province for Aboriginal athletes under 25 years of age who have achieved excellence in performance sport, are regarded for their leadership qualities, committed to higher education, and recognized as community role models both on and off the field of play.
A total of 47 recipients were chosen within the Partners Council’s six regions – Northeast, Northwest, Interior, Fraser, Vancouver Coastal, and Vancouver Island.
- Amanda Geernaert, age 15, Volleyball, Soccer, Snowboarding, Takla First Nation
- Camryn Scully, age 16, Hockey, Metis Nation BC
- Cheona Edzerza, age 22, Soccer, Tahltan First Nation
- Jarin Davison, age 16, Badminton, Metis Nation BC
- Kyra Buchan, age 17, Softball, Bear Skin Lake First Nation
- Landen Niemi, age 14, Golf, Hockey, Metis Nation BC
- Summer Supernant, age 17, Volleyball, Metis Nation BC
- Tristan Tom, 13, Hockey, Skin Tyee First Nation
“This is an important evening for the Northeast,” said Ken Edzerza, Aboriginal Sport, Recreation and Physical Activity Partners Council’s Northeast Regional lead. “It marks the first time we’ve gathered our communities to honour our youth athletes and celebrate their successes. The Premier’s Awards recognize our young people who are leading by example and giving back in a big way to their sport and communities.”
These Regional recipients automatically serve as nominees for the Provincial Awards. A total of 12 Provincial Awards (six male and six female) will be selected in January. Provincial recipients will be presented with their award at Gathering our Voices National Aboriginal Youth Conference in Kelowna, March 21 – 24, 2017.
Throughout November the five remaining regions will host formal celebrations to honour their 2016 Regional Premier’s Awards recipients.
Manager, Premier’s Awards and Communications
Aboriginal Sport, Recreation and Physical Activity Partners Council
(250) 388-5522 ext. 226