MEDIA ADVISORY: Global News Canadian Championships in Artistic and Rhythmic Gymnastics hit Edmonton
Gymnastics Canada – EDMONTON, AB (May 25, 2016) – Media are invited to attend the Global News 2016 Canadian Championships in Artistic and Trampoline Gymnastics running from Tuesday, May 31st to Saturday, June 4th at the University of Alberta Butterdome in Edmonton, AB.
Hosted by Capital City Gymnastics Centre, this event brings together over 1,000 of Canada’s best national level and high performance junior and senior gymnasts who will challenge for the title of Canadian Champion in men’s and women’s artistic gymnastics and in individual and synchronized trampoline, tumbling, and double mini-trampoline.
These Championships will play a major factor in deciding the five women artistic gymnasts and one male artistic gymnast that will represent Canada at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio this summer. Rio-bound trampoline Olympians Rosie MacLennan and Jason Burnett will also be showcasing the routines they will perform at the Olympics.
Free admission to the championships is also being offered to any Fort McMurray evacuee staying in University of Alberta residences that wishes to attend, and $1 from each ticket sold will be donated to the Red Cross for disaster relief.
WHAT: Global News 2016 Canadian Championships in Artistic and Trampoline Gymnastics
- Rosie MacLennan, defending Olympic Champion in women’s trampoline;
- Karen Cockburn, three-time Olympic medallist in women’s trampoline;
- Jason Burnett, 2008 Olympic silver medallist and World Record holder in men’s trampoline;
- Ellie Black, 5-time medallist and all-around champion in women’s artistic gymnastics at the 2015 Pan Am Games; defending Canadian Senior All-Around Champion; 2012 Olympic Games team member;
- Isabela Onyshko, 2016 Elite Canada Senior All-Around Champion; Silver medallist all-around at 2016 World Cup in Stuttgart;
- Brittany Rogers, Calgary resident and 2012 Olympic Games team member in women’s artistic gymnastics;
- Jackson Payne, Edmonton native and defending Canadian Senior All-Around champion in men’s artistic gymnastics;
- Kevin Lytwyn, Calgary resident and silver medallist in horizontal bar in men’s artistic gymnastics at the 2015 Pan Am Games;
- Scott Morgan, 4-time medallist at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in men’s artistic gymnastics;
- Over 40 local Edmonton athletes, coaches, and officials;
- Close to 1,000 athletes, coaches, and officials from across Canada.
Tuesday, May 31st to Saturday, June 4th, 2016
Click here for the complete schedule
University of Alberta, Universiade Pavilion (the Butterdome)
116 St & 85 Ave, Edmonton, AB
PHOTOS: Professional photos will be available to the media at the end of each competition day, please contact email@example.com
LIVE STREAMING: Live streaming of each apparatus will be available via www.gymcan.tv
ACCREDITATION: Please contact Julie Forget ASAP if you plan on attending the competition.
For more information, please contact:
Director, Communications & Marketing
Gymnastics Canada –