TOUR DE BEAUCE – The main breakaway of the day makes it to the line in a fast-paced stage
(St-Georges, QC – June 15, 2018) Griffin Easter of the Team 303 Project won the second stage presented on Friday night at the Tour d Beauce, a short but challenging stage, which ended at the top of the long climb of 20th Street in Notre-Dame-des- Pins.
Easter crossed the finish line in 1:33:15, beating breakaway partner Jonathan Brown (Hagens Berman Axeon). Rui Oliveira (Hagens Berman Axeon) was third, just six seconds behind the winner.
With about thirty kilometers to go in the race, Easter and Brown distorted company in the peloton. The two men were not too threatening in the overall standings, but the leaders wanted to keep them in sight. The lead of the two breakaway members climbed to a little over two minutes before dropping dangerously at the start of the final 1.2 km climb averaging 6.5%. The duo managed to resist the pressure from the peloton.
Quebec cyclist Adam Roberge (Silber), 2nd in the overall standings, tried to regain a few seconds by winning an intermediate sprint against the yellow jersey Serghei Tvetcov (United Healthcare), but the latter managed to distance his young opponent by a few seconds in the final climb taking the 5th rank of the stage. In the General classification, Tvetcov retains the yellow jersey, followed by Roberge and Rob Britton (Rally).
The race unfolded to be very fast paced, with some crashes on the road and several break attempts in a very nervous pack stretched to the maximum.
The narrow passage on Notre-Dame-des-Pins bridge was negotiated without an accident, but a collision occurred just after.
In addition to the yellow jersey, Tvetcov also earned the white jersey as leader of the points classification. Adam Roberge is still the leader in the Best Youth classification, while Benjamin Perry (Canada) keeps the polka dot jersey as King of the Mountain.
During the criterium in the streets of Quebec this Saturday, Tvetcov will be difficult to dislodge, but everything can still happen.
Cyclists have an appointment in Quebec City for 35 laps of a two-kilometer circuit. The departure is scheduled at 1:30 pm on Grande Allée near Place George V.
Results – Stage 3b
1. EASTER, Griffin (303 PROJECT -3O3) 1:33:15
2. BROWN, Jonathan (HAGENS BERMAN AXEON -HBA) +0:00
3. OLIVEIRA, Rui (HAGENS BERMAN AXEON -HBA) +0:06
4. MANNION, Gavin (UNITED HEALTHCARE -UHC) +0:06
5 TVETCOV, Serghei (UNITED HEALTHCARE -UHC) +0:06
Yellow Jersey Ville de Saint-Georges: Leader of the General classification
1. TVETCOV, Serghei (UNITED HEALTHCARE -UHC) 10:31:38
2. ROBERGE, Adam (SILBER PRO CYCLING -SPC) +00:27
3. BRITTON, Robert (RALLY CYCLING -RLY) +01:06
4. REVARD, Thomas (HAGENS BERMAN AXEON -HBA) +01:18
5. VERMEULEN, Alexey (INTERPRO STRADALLI CYCLING -IPC) +01:20
White Jersey Hydro-Québec: Leader of the Points classification
1. TVETCOV, Serghei (UNITED HEALTHCARE -UHC) 41pts
2. ROBERGE, Adam (SILBER PRO CYCLING -SPC) 37pts
3. OLIVEIRA, Rui (HAGENS BERMAN AXEON -HBA) 36 pts
Polka Dots Jersey Desjardins: Leader of the King of the Mountain classification
1. PERRY, Benjamin (CANADA -CAN) 33pts
2. OLIVEIRA, Rui (HAGENS BERMAN AXEON -HBA) 27pts
3. SANTOS MORENO, Efren (CANEL’S – SPECIALIZED -CAS) 27pts
Red Jersey Le Georgesville: Leader of the Best Young Rider classification (U23)
1. ROBERGE, Adam (SILBER PRO CYCLING -SPC) 10:32:05 +00:27
2. REVARD, Thomas (HAGENS BERMAN AXEON -HBA) 10:32:56 +01:18
3. CHRÉTIEN, Charles-Étienne (SILBER PRO CYCLING -SPC) 10:35:17 +03:39
TOUR DE BEAUCE 2018 — STAGES
Stage 1 — June 13: Saint-Georges-Saint-Georges (177 km)
Stage 2 — June 14: Lac Mégantic/Parc National du Mont-Mégantic (169 km)
Stage 3a — June 15: Saint-Prosper (20 km) [Time Trial]
Stage 3b — June 15: Saint-Georges-Notre Dame Des Pins (77km)
Stage 4 — June 16: Ville de Québec (70 km) [Criterium: 35 laps of 2 km]
Stage 5 — June 17: Ville de Saint-Georges (122 km) [Urban Circuit: 12 laps of 10 km]
Total distance: 634.8 km
For more information:
Jérôme Gendreau, Communications, Tour de Beauce 2018, email@example.com | 418-230-2923
Guy Napert-Frenette, Media Relations, Tour de Beauce 2018, firstname.lastname@example.org | 403-669-5015