CBC’S COVERAGE OF THE RIO 2016 OLYMPIC GAMES: PROGRAMMING HIGHLIGHTS FOR DAY 10 (MONDAY, AUGUST 15)
CBC – August 14, 2016 – Canada’s sprint paddlers take to the water in Rio for the first time on Monday as the Canoe Sprint competitions begin. Mark Oldershaw, Andréanne Langlois, Adam van Koeverden, KC Fraser and Genevieve Orton will all be looking to advance to the medal rounds of their canoe and kayak sprint events.
In athletics, Canada’s Shawn Barber will be looking to add an Olympic Games gold medal to his trophy case in the men’s pole vault. Barber is the reigning World Champion in this event and is considered a medal favourite in Rio.
Coverage will be available on TV across CBC, TSN, TSN2, Sportsnet and Sportsnet ONE. Viewers can also watch CBC’s live streaming coverage at cbc.ca/olympics, on CBC’s app for Rio 2016 for iOS and Android devices and in virtual reality using the CBC Olympic Games Virtual Reality app.
Programming highlights for Monday, Aug. 15:
Note: All times are listed in ET and are subject to change without notice. Visit cbc.ca/olympics for full listings.
- 8:30 a.m. – Men’s and Women’s Athletics
- Men’s triple jump qualification, Women’s 200m heats, men’s 3000m steeplechase heats, women’s hammer throw final, women’s 3000m steeplechase final, men’s 400m hurdles heats
- Canadians expected to compete: Crystal Emmanuel (women’s 200m); Matthew Hughes, Taylor Milne and Chris Winter (men’s 3000m steeplechase); Genevieve Lalonde (women’s 3000m steeplechase)
- 7:15 p.m. – Men’s and Women’s Athletics
- Men’s pole vault final, women’s discus throw qualification, men’s 110m hurdles heats, women’s 400m hurdles heats, men’s 800m final and women’s 400m final
- Canadians expected to compete: Shawn Barber (men’s pole vault); Jonathan Cabral and Sekou Kaba (men’s 100m hurdles); Chanice Chase-Taylor, Noelle Montcalm and Sage Watson (women’s 400m hurdles)
- 1 p.m. – Men’s and Women’s Artistic Gymnastics Finals
- Medal events include: Men’s rings final, men’s vault final, women’s balance beam final
- Brandon, MB’s Isabela Onyshko will represent Canada in women’s balance beam
- 3 p.m. – Men’s Beach Volleyball Quarter-Finals
- 3 p.m. – Quarter-Final #1: Italy vs. Russia
- 4 p.m. – Quarter-Final #2: Russia vs. Cuba
- 10 p.m. – Men’s Beach Volleyball Quarter-Finals
- 10 p.m. – Quarter-Final #3: USA vs. Brazil
- 11 p.m. – Quarter-Final #4: Netherlands vs. Netherlands
- 9 a.m. – Women’s and Men’s Preliminary Round
- Women’s Sprint 1/8 finals heats, men’s omnium time trial, women’s omnium scratch race
- 3 p.m. – Men’s and Women’s Finals
- Men’s omnium final, women’s omnium individual pursuit and elimination race
- Allison Beveridge of Calgary will compete for Canada in the women’s omnium
- 10 a.m. – Boxing Preliminary Rounds
- 1:15 p.m. – Men’s Basketball: Nigeria vs. Brazil
- 6 p.m. – Men’s Basketball: Spain vs. Argentina
- 9:30 p.m. – Men’s Basketball: Lithuania vs. Croatia
- 7:45 p.m. – Men’s Volleyball: Italy vs. Canada
- In the final preliminary round game for both teams, Canada will look to hand Italy its first loss of the tournament
- 9 a.m. – Wrestling: 85kg and 130kg
- 12 p.m. – Men’s and Women’s Sailing
- Men’s 470 races, men’s 49er races, women’s 49er FX races, women’s laser radial medal races, women’s 470 races, men’s laser medal race
- Canadians expected to compete: Jacob and Graeme Saunders (men’s 470); Erin Rafuse and Dannie Boyd (women’s 49er FX); Brenda Bowskill (women’s laser radial); and Lee Parkhill (men’s laser)
- 4 p.m. – Boxing: Medal Rounds
- 8 a.m. – Men’s and Women’s Canoe Sprint: Preliminaries and semifinals
- Men’s canoe single 1000m (heats and semis), women’s kayak double 500m (heats and semis), women’s kayak single 200m (heats and semis), men’s kayak single 1000m (heats and semis)
- Canadians expected to compete: Mark Oldershaw (men’s canoe 1000m); KC Fraser and Genevieve Orton (women’s kayak double 500m); Andréanne Langlois (women’s kayak single 200m); and Adam van Koeverden (men’s kayak single 1000m)
- 10:30 a.m. – Synchronized Swimming: Duets Technical Routine
- Canada’s Jacqueline Simoneau and Karine Thomas compete in the second stage of the preliminary round.
- 12:15 p.m. – Women’s 10k
- Canada’s Stephanie Horner will compete in this medal event
- 2:15 p.m. – Men’s 3m Springboard: Preliminary Round
- Eighteen-year-old Philippe Gagné of Montréal will look to qualify for Tuesday’s semifinal round
- 8:30 a.m. – Men’s Volleyball
- 8:30 a.m. – Argentina vs. Egypt
- 10:30 a.m. – USA vs. Mexico
- 4 p.m. – Men’s Volleyball: Poland vs. Cuba
- 1 p.m. – Women’s Water Polo Quarter-Finals #1 (Australia vs. Hungary) and #2 (Italy vs. China)
- 9:30 p.m. – Women’s Water Polo Quarter-Finals #3 (Brazil vs. USA) and #4 (Russia vs. Spain)
- 6 p.m. – Women’s Field Hockey Quarter-Finals
- 6 p.m. – Quarter-Final #3: Great Britain vs. Spain
- 7:30 p.m. – Quarter-Final #4: Netherlands vs. Argentina
Live streaming via the CBC Olympic Games Virtual Reality app, brought to Canadians exclusively by Visa, for iOS and Android devices:
- 8:30 a.m. –11:10 a.m.
- 7:15 p.m.–9:50 p.m.
CBC/Radio-Canada is Canada’s national public broadcaster and one of its largest cultural institutions. We are Canada’s trusted source of news, information and Canadian entertainment. Deeply rooted in communities all across the country, CBC/Radio-Canada offers diverse content in English, French and eight Aboriginal languages. We also provide international news and information from a uniquely Canadian perspective.
For more information including series synopses, press releases, hi-res images, video clips and bios, please visit the CBC Media Centre at cbc.ca/mediacentre.
For further information, please contact:
Simon Bassett, publicist, CBC
416-205-8533 (office) 416-988-1590 (mobile)