Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame Announces the Class of 2016 Inductees
Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame– June 22 is Calgary’s opportunity to meet the Class of 2016 –
April 26, 2016 – Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame and Presenting Sponsor, Canadian Tire, are proud to announce the remarkable individuals who will make up the Class of 2016. The six athletes and one sport builder selected are being recognized not only for their enormous contributions to their sports, but also for their dedication to their country. They will receive the highest sporting honour in Canada when they are officially inducted into Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame on November 1, 2016.
On June 22, 2016, Calgarians will have the opportunity to meet the Class of 2016 at Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame. The inductees will attend the 2016 Sport Heroes Celebration & Golf Tournament here in Calgary; a one-of-a-kind two day event with proceeds supporting Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame’s national youth education programs. Please visit www.sportshall.ca for more information and to get involved.
“This year marks our 61st induction ceremony. We are proud to be able to share the stories of the achievements of the Class of 2016 so that we can inspire all Canadians to be the best they can be in all aspects of life,” said Mario Siciliano, President and CEO, Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame. “Thanks to the support of our partner, Canadian Tire Corporation, and Michael Medline as our Honourary Chair, we are able to recognize these outstanding individuals and host the biggest annual celebration of sport in Canada.”
The distinguished Class of 2016 inductees includes:
- Michael “Pinball” Clemons – 4-time Grey Cup Champion and founder of the Michael Pinball Clemons Foundation supporting at risk youth.
- Stephanie Dixon – 3-time Paralympic Swimmer, champion for the Paralympic movement and advocate for Disability Rights.
- Dr. Frank Hayden – creator of the worldwide Special Olympic Movement and champion for intellectually disabled children and adults.
- Sue Holloway – 4-time Olympian and first woman to compete at both the Winter and Summer Olympic Games in the same year in Kayaking and Cross Country Skiing.
- Colleen Jones – 2-time World Champion, first skip in curling history to win four consecutive national titles and ambassador for the sport of curling.
- Annie Perreault – 3-time Olympic Speed Skater and outstanding role-model for the next generation.
- Bryan Trottier – 7-time Stanley Cup champion and advocate for First Nations youth across the country.
Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame and Presenting Partner, Canadian Tire revealed the Class of 2016 inductees. The Class will be officially inducted on November 1, 2016 at the Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame 2016 Induction Celebrations.
For full biographies of the Class of 2016, please visit www.sportshall.ca
ABOUT CANADA’S SPORTS HALL OF FAME
Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame is an international award-winning facility with over 40,000 square feet of inspiring experiences. Located at WinSport’s Canada Olympic Park, site of the 1988 Olympic Winter Games in Calgary, Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame features 12 galleries, more than 50 hands-on interactive experiences and a collection of 100,000 artefacts. Our mission is to share the stories of the achievements of our inducted Honoured Members so that we can inspire all Canadians to be the best they can be in all aspects of life. Please visit
www.sportshall.ca to learn more about our education programs, facility rentals and corporate retreats.
*Please note that the official name is Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame, not the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame.
For more info, please contact:
Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame:
Manager, Marketing & Communications
Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame