|Canada Soccer has announced the ten Canadian Women’s National Team players allocated to the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL), including eight returning players and two recently drafted players.
“Canada Soccer is pleased to continue to support members of our Women’s National Team through their careers in the National Women’s Soccer League for the fifth consecutive year,” said Peter Montopoli, General Secretary, Canada Soccer. “The NWSL continues to provide a competitive environment for our players, ensuring they have access to high level competition to keep them at the top of their game.”
The National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) is a ten-team Division-I women’s professional soccer league featuring national team players from around the world, with Canadian and American National Team players allocated by Canada Soccer and U.S. Soccer.
“The partnership between Canada Soccer, U.S. Soccer and the NWSL is a unique and valuable relationship that is contributing to the growth of the women’s game in North America, both in the professional realm, but also off the pitch for the many young fans who look up to their NWSL heroes,” added Montopoli.
The ten clubs are the Boston Breakers, Chicago Red Stars, Houston Dash, FC Kansas City, North Caroline Courage, Orlando Pride, Portland Thorns FC, Seattle Reign FC, Sky Blue FC, and Washington Spirit.
“There is consistency in the allocation for 2017 with a number of players heading into their fourth NWSL season, which is fantastic,” said Head Coach John Herdman. “For the new players, they are coming into an exciting league that has improved year over year, with clubs that have taken professionalism to another level. It’s great for Canada Soccer to have National Team players in the NWSL because it enables us to bring our players together more frequently and consistently.”
The following Canadian players have been allocated by Canada Soccer to the NWSL:
- Janine Beckie, age 22, from Highlands Ranch, CO/Houston Dash
- Allysha Chapman, age 27, from Courtice, ON/ Boston Breakers
- Sabrina D’Angelo, age 23, from Welland, ON/ North Carolina Courage
- Stephanie Labbé, age 30, from Edmonton, AB/ Washington Spirit
- Diana Matheson, age 32, from Oakville, ON/ Washington Spirit
- Desiree Scott, age 29, from Winnipeg, MB/ FC Kansas City
- Christine Sinclair, age 33, from Burnaby, BC/ Portland Thorns FC
- Shelina Zadorsky, age 23, from London, ON/ Washington Spirit
- Kailen Sheridan, age 21, from Whitby, ON/ Sky Blue FC (2017 draft)
- Nichelle Prince, age 21, from Ajax, ON/ Houston Dash (2017 draft)
The National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) is a ten-team Division-I women’s professional soccer league featuring national team players from around the world. The ten clubs are the Boston Breakers, Chicago Red Stars, Houston Dash, FC Kansas City, North Carolina Courage, Orlando Pride, Portland Thorns FC, Seattle Reign FC, Sky Blue FC, and Washington Spirit.
For more information about the NWSL, log on to the league’s official website at www.NWSLsoccer.com