CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: CAAWS Board of Directors
Canadian Association for the Advancement of Women and Sport and Physical Activity (CAAWS) – ABOUT CAAWS
At the Canadian Association for the Advancement of Women and Sport and Physical Activity (CAAWS), our vision is to achieve equity for women in society through the power of sport.
To this end, we are dedicated to creating an equitable and inclusive Canadian sport and physical activity system that empowers girls and women—as active participants and leaders—within and through sport. With a focus on systemic change, we partner with governments, organizations and leaders to challenge the status quo and to advance solutions that result in measurable change.
Everyone benefits when diversity and inclusion are prioritized. Sport has much to gain from harnessing the talents and contributions of girls and women. This in turn creates the conditions for women to achieve their fullest potential within and through sport, leading to a more open and inclusive society.
As the leading authority and voice, we are uniquely positioned to lead change for women and girls and sport and physical activity in Canada. We offer:
• Centre of expertise and the only national, non-profit organization focusing exclusively on women and sport in Canada
• National reach and perspective
• Distinguished and influential network of ambassadors from coast-to-coast
• 37-year history of committed leadership and impact
• Extensive partnerships – nationally and within provinces and territories
• Focus on systemic change
We serve as a thought leader and effective partner for sport and physical activity organizations with an interest in expanding inclusion—from the field of play to the boardroom table. At CAAWS, we are:
• Impact-led: We are motivated by measurable impact that represents real change.
• Evidence-based: Everything we do is grounded in research.
• Action-oriented: We offer practical tools, resources, networks and opportunities that enable action.
• Effective partners: We work in and through partnership to achieve more than what is possible by working alone.
As we look ahead, we are committed to building on these strengths to drive even greater change for girls and women and for sport.
Our values are inherent to our work, and as passionate champions for girls and women in sport and physical activity, we are committed to integrating these values in all we do. At our core, we lead with unwavering:
• Integrity – Honesty guides our actions. We work with purpose and principle.
• Courage – We are brave leaders.
• Impact – Our work makes noticeable, meaningful and positive change.
CANDIDATE SKILLS & EXPERIENCE SOUGHT:
• Women or men with interest/passion for creating participation and leadership opportunities for girls and women in sport and physical activity
• Sport and/or physical activity expertise and systems knowledge
• Lawyer expertise, currently or previous
• Financial management proficiency
• Government Relations and/or National Sport or Multisport Service Organization experience
• Bilingual (French – English)
• Looking for geographical representation across Canada, with particular interest in Québec and Atlantic Provinces
TERM & TIME COMMITMENT:
• Board terms are for 2 years. The Director could be eligible to serve 2 additional 2-year terms.
• Meetings are held quarterly including one face to face meeting and the rest by conference call.
• Directors sit on operational committees that have a variable amount of time involved.
ROLE OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
• Approve the vision, mission, values and strategic direction of the Corporation;
• Approve policies and procedures to deliver the programs and services of the Corporation;
• Provide continuity for the Corporation by overseeing its financial health;
• Engage under employment contract a Chief Executive Officer to manage and oversee the operations of the Corporation;
• Ensure positive relationships with stakeholders; and
• Perform any other duties from time to time as may be in the best interests of the Corporation.
APPLICATIONS: If this speaks to you, please send a letter of interest and bio to Rebecca Shanks, Nominating Committee Chair to email@example.com. The deadline for submissions is June 4th, 2018.