Call for Expression of Interest for CFF Board Members
Canadian Fencing Federation – The Canadian Fencing Federation (CFF) is currently seeking expressions of interest for positions on our Board of Directors, the group of volunteers that govern our sport. We are looking for individuals from a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences who are interested in helping us fulfill our vision of growing and improving the sport of Fencing. We are actively looking to fill at least one board position while building a list of qualified candidates for future openings.
We are looking for candidates who have experience or expertise in the following priority skill areas:
Experience in the Canadian sport system, Carver based governance, and Fencing is not essential but definitely an asset. Board members may be selected for and make their contribution because of their unique skills or insights
Directors and Officers must fulfill all requirements of the Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act and the Canada Revenue Agency’s requirements for board members of Registered Charities.
If you meet these requirements, offer some of the key competencies and you are interested in contributing your expertise to our sport then please send a resume and statement of interest to Brad Goldie, President of the Canadian Fencing Federation. Inquiries for more information about the CFF Board of Directors should also be directed to Mr. Goldie.
View the full job description
- Board members are responsible for the effective governance of the organization consistent with its vision, mission, strategic direction, and adherence to its core values.
- Board members have no authority to act individually in the direction of staff and volunteers or to act as spokesperson for the organization unless specifically given such authority by the Board
We are seeking board members that:
- fulfill all requirements of the Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act and the Canada Revenue Agency’s requirements for board members of Registered Charities
- have a knowledge, of or interest in, Fencing
- have a basic understanding of the Canadian Sport system
- have a working understanding of the Carver model of governance
- are available and willing to fulfill board member duties
- are open to learning
- have the ability to work as part of a team
Each member of the Board of Directors is expected to do the following:
- Prepare for meetings by reading agendas, minutes, reports and other documentation required to actively participate in meetings
- Work as a team member and support board decisions
- Review, clarify and amend the mission and objectives of the organization as necessary
- Develop, amend and approve bylaws and governing policies outlining key financial, staff/personnel and board practices as necessary
- Monitor the performance of the organization
- Typically one to two hours per month for monthly board teleconference conference calls
- Attending in-person board meetings—approximately three all-day meetings per year. Travel expenses will be reimbursed
- Participation on board committees
- Term Two years but must be approved by CFF membership
- Understand and monitor the organization’s financial affairs
- Report any potential conflicts of interest
- Maintain confidentiality
- Ensure the organization is complying with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Participate in the recruitment of new board members
- Keep up-to-date with issues and trends that affect the organization