BC Rugby Select Team Faces Canada West Maple Leafs in ARC Curtain-Raiser Match
BC Rugby – Vancouver, BC – January 30, 2017: BC Rugby’s Select team will be facing Canada West Maple Leafs in the curtain-raiser match for the Americas Rugby Championship Canada vs. Argentina game on February 4th. Coach Aaron Frisby has put together a roster of widely successful players from all different experience levels, ranging from Rio 2016 Olympic Bronze Medalist Kelly Russell to Canada West All Star Jess Neilson. The 22-player roster also features 10 capped players: McEwen, Boag, Stamatakis, Beukeboom, Russell, Neilson, Burk, Thornborough, and McNally. With such strong players on this squad, this match will be a fantastic opportunity to showcase the strength of women’s rugby in BC.
This will also be an important game for Canada’s coaching staff as it will contribute to player development and player selection for the Road to Women’s Rugby World Cup. Francois Ratier, Head Coach of Canada’s National Women’s XVs team shares, “This game is an opportunity for our National Team players based in BC to play a fast-paced rugby game and for the coaching staff to get a quality game to analyze.”
Ratier also adds, “Our top players need to lead by example and raise the level of the game every time they have this kind of opportunity.”
Although this will be an important match for showcasing the strength of BC’s female players, it will not be considered towards the selection of BC Rugby’s Senior Women’s Team for the 2017 National Women’s League which will be taking place in Nova Scotia this July.
Kickoff for the curtain-raiser match will be at 2pm PST. The match will be live streamed on Rugby Canada’s Facebook and Youtube pages.
Tickets for the 2017 Americas Rugby Championship home games are available for purchase here.
BC Rugby’s Select Team Roster for Feb 4th ARC Curtain-Raiser (Name, Club):
- Carolyn McEwen (C) – Burnaby Lake RFC
- Gillian Boag – UBC
- Demi Stamatakis – SFU
- Chelsey Minter – Westshore RFC
- Tyson Beukeboom – Cowichan RFC
- Emily Van Gulik – Burnaby Lake RFC
- Allison McCormack – Capilano RFC
- Kelly Russell – Cowichan RFC
- Meaghan Howat – Westshore RFC
- Jess Neilson – UVic Vikes
- Selina McGinnis –Westshore RFC
- Andrea Burk – Capilano RFC
- Amanda Thornborough – Westshore RFC
- Kara Galbraith – Castaway Wanderers RFC
- Katie McNally – Castaway Wanderers RFC
- Rosie Lang – Westshore RFC
- Brittany Sims – Westshore RFC
- Louisa Hadley – Capilano RFC
- Courtney Sims – Westshore RFC
- Mackenzie Fowler – Abbotsford RFC
- Kaitlyn Cumming – Kamloops RC
- Jess Harvey – Burnaby Lake RFC
More information about BC Rugby
The British Columbia Rugby Union, commonly known as BC Rugby, is the governing body for Rugby in British Columbia and is a Provincial Union of Rugby Canada, the national governing body. Representing over 7,500 individuals registered through around 60 Member Clubs and Associations across the Province, BC Rugby leads and manages the sport with the aim to grow participation and develop excellence in all games of Rugby and in all facets of the sport.
For further information, please contact:
Marketing & Communications Manager
Tel: +1- 604-737-3070