2018 Elite Canada in Rhythmic Gymnastics Competition returns to Markham, ON
Gymnastics Canada – MARKHAM, ON (Jan 25, 2018) – Media are invited to attend the 2018 Elite Canada in Rhythmic Gymnastics competition running from Thursday, February 1 to Sunday, February 4, 2018 at the Markham Pan Am Centre in Markham, ON.
Hosted by Glimmer Athletics Club and Excellence RG Club, Elite Canada brings together the top athletes from across Canada from the novice, junior, and senior categories in rhythmic gymnastics. Elite Canada is an annual event held to determine the top junior and senior rhythmic gymnasts in Canada who will go on to compete at the Canadian Championships in Richmond, BC in May.
This competition will also be used to name the teams that will represent Canada at the Pacific Rim and the Junior Pan American Championships which are both being held in Medellin, Colombia in late April and early May respectively. Three gymnasts born in 2003 will be selected for the Junior Pan American Championships team which is the Youth Olympic Games Qualifier for the America’s.
Elite Canada is also being used as part of the Commonwealth Games selection process. The three athletes that will represent Canada in rhythmic gymnastics at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, AUS will be publically announced on February 21st.
WHAT: 2018 Elite Canada Rhythmic Gymnastics Competition
- Toronto-based national team members Michel Vivier, Natalie Garcia, and Izabella Helbin compete in the junior category; Athena Tsaltas, Vivienne Lee-Motkine, Diana Noskova and Sophie Crane compete in the senior category;
- 11 athletes from the local host clubs – Glimmer Athletic (9) and Excellence RG (2);
- 140 of Canada’s top rhythmic gymnasts, 36 coaches;
- 2017 Canadian Champion Carmen Whelan, and 2nd ranked Senior Katherine Uchida will not be competing due to injury rehabilitation;
- There will be a short ceremony on Sunday at 4:15pm to honour the career of four-time Canadian senior champion Patricia Bezzoubenko who recently announced her retirement.
WHEN: Thursday, February 1st to Sunday, February 4th.
Highlights (all times ET):
Thurs., Feb. 1: Training Day – best opportunity for B-roll and interviews
Fri., Feb. 2:
@10:00 – Junior Hoop & Ball
@14:50 – Groups 1st performance
@15:15 – Senior Hoop & Ball
Sat., Feb. 3:
@09:00 – Junior Clubs & Ribbon
@13:50 – Groups 2nd Performance
@14:35 – Senior Clubs & Ribbon
Sun., Feb. 4:
@09:20 – Junior All-Around and Apparatus Finals
@12:00 – Group Finals – 1st performance
@13:10 – Group Finals – 2nd performance
@13:25 – Senior All-Around and Apparatus Finals
@16:15 – Awards
Click here for the complete schedule
Markham Pan Am Centre
16 Main St. Unionville
Markham, ON, L3R 2E4
LIVE STREAMING: http://gymcan.tv
LIVE RESULTS: http://bit.ly/RGEC2018_Results
MEDIA ACCREDITATION: Will be available on-site. Please consult our media guidelines before attending.
For more information, please contact:
Director, Communications & Marketing
Coordinator, Rhythmic Gymnastics