Senior Advisor, Sustainability & Impact
The Canada Games Council (CGC) is the franchise holder for the Canada Games, responsible for the management of the Canada Games and the development of the Canada Games Movement. Held once every two years, alternating between winter and summer, the Canada Games represent the highest level of national competition for up-and-coming Canadian athletes. The Games have been hosted in every province and the Yukon Territory at least once since their inception in Quebec City during Canada’s Centennial in 1967. They are proud of their contribution to Canada’s sport development system in addition to their lasting legacy of sport facilities, community pride, citizen engagement and national unity. As the Games move from one host community to the next, the CGC provides continuity, leadership and support to Host Societies in key areas through the CGC’s Transfer of Knowledge program. The CGC also ensures effective long-term partnerships with National Sport Organizations, Federal-Provincial/Territorial governments, the corporate sector, broadcasters and the media.
Under the direction of the President & CEO and in collaboration with other CGC staff within and outside of the Corporate department, the Senior Advisor will be responsible for the delivery of the Canada Games Council Sustainability Strategy and Roadmap.
The Canada Games Council, in its new Strategic Plan, is charting a path forward to ensure the Canada Games Reflect Canada’s Diversity and Reduce Environmental Impact. Key actions to date include the contracting and roadmap development from strategic consultants in the areas of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Environmental Sustainability. In order to advance its Strategy. The advancement of these Strategic Priorities will be made possible with dedicated human resources.
The CGC is seeking an individual to work within the Corporate department to oversee the delivery of the sustainability strategy to deliver on the CGC’s priorities to Reflect Canada’s Diversity and Reduce Environmental Impact. This position will be working with Host Societies in order to implement sustainability initiatives throughout the Life Cycle of the Canada Games.
This is a remote work opportunity, however, some travel will be required.
Applicants may be considered for other similar positions at the CGC.
This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated sustainability and/or environment professional with knowledge, experience and passion for events and project management. The CGC is looking for an individual with a post-secondary degree or certification in a related field: Sustainability, Environmental Policy, Social Policy, Urban Planning, or Sustainable or Green Business Management, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion; Social Justice. The ideal candidate will be passionate about the environment, social impact, sport, events and communities. Further, they will have a client/customer-oriented mindset, and be organized, detail-oriented, and personable, with exceptional communication skills and the ability to build strong relationships. The successful candidate will have 3-5 years of experience working in the field of sustainability.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The major responsibilities of the Senior Advisor include the following:
1. Delivery of the CGC’s Sustainability Strategy and Roadmap that addresses the CGC strategic pillars of: Reflect Canada’s Diversity and Reduce Environmental Impact
○ Build a timeline, execute the deliverables and meet the targets outlined in the strategy.
2. Oversee the engagement of sustainability initiatives with stakeholders who are influenced by the CGC’s activities.
3. Build short and long-range operational planning that incorporates sustainability and social impact practices.
4. Act as an internal sustainability and equity leader in the organization to educate colleagues on emerging trends, programs, and issues in sustainability.
5. Directly manage all aspects of sustainability initiatives and programs, including administration of office, staff, and budgets.
6. Implement required changes to current policies, costs and benefits associated with implementing sustainable practices in an organization.
7. Human Resource Oversight
○ The Senior Advisor will be responsible for the oversight of contractors, interns, committees, and or volunteers.
○ The Senior Advisor will have support from Advisors in the Corporate Team.
8. Oversee Functional Area of Sustainability & Impact, in relation to work with Host Societies
9. Other Duties as required, including, but not limited to
○ Support to the CGC mission at Canada Games;
● Bachelor’s degree or College diploma in Environmental Sustainability, Environmental Policy, Urban Planning, or Sustainable or Green Business Management, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion; Social Justice or equivalent combination of education, certification, and relevant experience.
● Project management certification is considered an asset.
● Progressive working experience within the field of sustainability, with considerable experience in environmental and social change.
● Experience managing projects, including development, monitoring, and evaluation cycles;
● Experience managing key partners, including governments and clients; and
● Experience managing personnel, and building strong relationships with colleagues.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
● Project design
● Knowledge of environmental health and safety standards
● Experience planning and leading projects
● Time management
● Knowledge of environmental legislation and regulations
● Knowledge of types of sustainability certifications
● Strong reading, writing and verbal communication skills in English
● Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to build and manage relationships
● Ability to communicate effectively
● Reading, writing and verbal communication skills in French considered a strong asset
● Experience with customer/client relationship management
● Knowledge of the Canadian sport system
● Familiarity with Google Suite
● Experience managing staff and volunteers
We also recognize and value experience and skills that might not match our identified requirements.
The hiring range for this position is between $65,000 and $75,000. Where within that range is based on experience and qualifications of the successful candidate. The successful candidate will also be enrolled in CGC’s comprehensive health and dental benefits program, be entitled to a monthly cell phone stipend, have access to an Employee Assistance Program, receive generous vacation and flex days, work remotely and other Canada Games perks.
The Canada Games Council is committed to building a skilled team that is reflective of Canadian society. We are on a journey to better support equity, inclusion and belonging within our team. We welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous persons, Black and Persons of Colour, persons with a disability, Newcomers and members of the 2SLGBTIQ+ community.
This position is remote. The office is located in Ottawa, Ontario, on the traditional unceded territory of the Algonquin Anishinabek People.
This position is made possible through financial support by Sport Canada.