PS2 Strength & Conditioning Coach (Athletics)
|POSITION TITLE:||PS2 Strength & Conditioning Coach (Athletics)||Posting Date:
|REPORTS TO:||CSIO – Manager, Research, Data and Technology
Athletics (Operational) –AC Hub Lead (East)
|Monday, February 6, 2023 (9:00 AM EST)|
|LOCATION:||AC East Hub, York University,
231 Ian MacDonald Blvd, Toronto
|SALARY:||$60K- $75K per annum plus benefits package (commensurate with CSIO career development pathway)||First-Round Interview
Week of February 13, 2023
The Canadian Sport Institute Ontario (CSIO) is committed to providing best-in-class, multi-sport daily training environments for athletes and coaches through expert leadership, services, and programs.
Our Purpose is Elevating people and performances
Our Values are Commitment, Synergy, Integrity, Openness
PERFORMANCE SERVICES CORE OBJECTIVES
The Performance Services business unit contributes to CSIO’s goals in the following ways:
· Recruitment, development, and retention of Performance Sciences (Sport Science and Sport Medicine disciplines), Research & Innovation Leaders & Practitioners
· Delivering best-in-class Performance Solutions for National & Provincial Sport Organizations (NSOs & PSOs)
· Delivering Partnership Management, Service Agreements, and Quality Assurance measures for our NSO performance partners
· Supporting a practitioner development pathway in alignment with Sport Scientist Canada (SSC)
The purpose of the Strength and Conditioning (S&C) Coach with Athletics Canada (AC) is to provide best-in-class support to targeted Athletics Canada athletes based at the East Hub Training Center in the area of Strength & Conditioning to facilitate overall performance enhancement.
The S&C Coach will support identified AC athletes as directed by the AC High-Performance Director (HPD) and AC Hub Lead (East) while helping to further expand and further develop this service area at both AC and CSIO. Duties include working closely with the AC Hub Lead (East), AC Sports Science Lead, AC Integrated Support Team (IST), and AC Coaching staff to focus on all areas of strength and conditioning including flexibility, strength, endurance, hypertrophy, power, and speed. The S&C Coach supports athletes and coaches by providing tools and metrics to monitor and assess progress and collaborates with the IST, in order to achieve a holistic approach to athlete development.
The S&C Coach will have a direct report at AC to the AC Sports Science Lead, and at CSIO to the CSIO Manager, Research, Data & Technology Solutions. The CSIO/AC S&C Coach will also have a dual indirect report to both the AC Hub Lead (East) and the AC Sport Science, Sports Medicine & Innovation Lead.
· Collaboratively develop and deliver best-in-class strength & conditioning support in the daily training environment, and select, targeted, decentralized athletes.
· In collaboration with the AC Hub Lead (East) and AC coaching staff develop individualized training plans, focusing on targeted objectives for each athlete.
· Coach athletes in one on one or small group scenarios to teach proper lifting techniques, to ensure maximum adaptations and a safe environment.
· Able to attend and provide comprehensive strength & conditioning support at identified competitions and training camp.
· Travel within Toronto and elsewhere as required to support non-hub-based identified and targeted athletes and their coaches with S&C expertise and support.
· All planned travel is to be coordinated and agreed upon by the AC Hub Lead (East), AC Sport Science, Sport Medicine & Innovation Lead, and AC Sport Science Lead.
· Implement a thorough monitoring, tracking, and testing process to ensure that athletes are making the desired progress.
· Evaluate current research to broaden knowledge of the sport as well as general knowledge of trends and findings in the discipline.
· Under the discretion of CSIO Manager Research, Data, and Technology Solutions and AC Sport Science, Sport Medicine & Innovation Lead, conduct, commission, and collaborate in research and
innovation projects in an effort to further the discipline.
· Foster effective working relationships with all stakeholders in order to understand coaching philosophy and sport program goals.
· Provide comprehensive feedback (presentations, publications, reports) to athletes, coaches, and other key stakeholders. Ensure that a detailed record of performance testing results and data is kept and stored
· Provide oversight and maintenance for the East Hub S&C facilities and equipment, provide recommendations for new tools and equipment, and address any equipment or facility issues in a timely and proactive manner.
Integrated Support Team
· Communicate effectively on a regular basis with other IST members to provide a holistic approach to athlete performance.
· Work using a collaborative approach to tackle sport-specific challenges and questions.
· Attend and contribute to sport-specific IST meetings.
· Consult and refer specific athlete issues to relevant practitioners within the IST.
Company & Professional Development
· Maintain an accurate record of work conducted.
· Ensure that time is appropriately managed, including vacation and any accrued overtime.
· Be an active member of the organization by participating in staff meetings, other meetings, and seminars as required.
· Be a Professional or HP Certified member in good standing with Sport Scientist Canada
· Adhere to any professional codes of conduct appropriate to the profession or other codes of conduct that might be deemed applicable to sports science and sports medicine practitioners in
· Work with mentors to identify technical gaps and actively engage in skill development in
all sport science disciplines (strength training, physiology, biomechanics, data science)
· Maintain a proactive approach to personal Professional development.
· Demonstrate an understanding and respect for all performance and health service areas.
· Actively participate in formal feedback processes with a growth mindset (i.e., performance management)
· Proactively seek feedback for continuous improvement in knowledge and service delivery
· Present workshops, lectures, and seminars as required and agreed upon by the CSIO Manager, Research, Data & Technology Solutions, AC Hub Lead (East), and AC Sport Science Lead.
· Undertake any other reasonable duties as directed by the CSIO Manager, Research, Data & Technology Solutions, AC Hub Lead (East), and AC Sport Science Lead.
Working Conditions /Special Requirements
· The S&C Coach may be required to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends, plus be on-call for emergencies for time-sensitive and priority issues.
· The S&C Coach will be required to provide their own transportation to/from the location of service delivery. G Class Driver’s license beneficial.
- The S&C Coach must meet all Safe Sport, anti-doping, and any other relevant HR requirements for both CSIO and AC.
- The S&C Coach must maintain CPR/AED certification and any accreditation required for employment (NSCA CSCS, etc.).
· AC Hub Lead (East)
· AC Sport Science, Sports Medicine & Innovation Lead
· AC Sport Science Lead
· AC High Performance Director
· AC Head Coach
· AC Para Performance Lead
· AC Hub Coaches
· AC Athletes
· All AC IST members
· CSIO Manager, Research, Data and Technology Solutions
· CSIO Director, Performance Services
· CSIO Performance Services Staff
· All CSIO staff
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
· Advanced degree (M.Sc. or Ph.D.) in physiology, kinesiology, biomechanics, or related field preferred, or working towards the completion within the first 3 months of employment.
· Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in a high-performance sport environment (including National and International Competitions).
· National Strength & Conditioning Association (NSCA), Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) certification is a requirement.
· Previous experience working with Track and Field athletes is desirable.
· Previous experience working with Paralympic athletes is desirable.
· Strong coaching and presentation skills.
· Experience in developing and implementing innovative ideas and putting them into practice, including working in an applied and integrated manner.
· Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of independence and initiative.
· Good team-building skills and the ability to be flexible and adjust to changing priorities.
· Knowledge of the Canadian Sport System an asset.
· Sport Scientist Canada High Performance Certification is considered an asset.
· The successful candidate must undergo a Vulnerable Sector Screening a requirement at the time of hire
· Candidate must show proof of vaccination (and applicable boosters) at the time of hire
· Must be eligible to work in Canada.
Interested applicants must submit their resume and cover letter
(in one PDF document) to:
Canadian Sport Institute Ontario
Canadian Sport Institute Ontario is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex,
sexual orientation, age, marital status, family status, or disability. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.