Manager, High Performance Team Operations
Manager, High Performance Team Operations
About Queen’s University
Queen’s University is the Canadian research intensive university with a transformative student learning experience. Here the employment experience is as diverse as it is interesting. We have opportunities in multiple areas of globally recognized research, faculty administration, engineering & construction, athletics & recreation, power generation, corporate shared services, and many more.
We are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from individuals from equity seeking groups such as women, racialized/visible minorities, Indigenous/Aboriginal peoples, persons with a disability, persons who identify in the LGBTQ+
community and others who reflect the diversity of Canadian society.
Come work with us!
Are you passionate about the student-athlete experience? Are you energized by empowering student-athlete and coach success on and off the field of play? Could “Go Gaels Go!” be your new call out?
Consider joining the Athletics and Recreation team at Queen’s University!
Our High Performance Sport team is seeking a dynamic Manager, High Performance Team Operations to be the leader in planning, coordinating and processes to advance our varsity team operations. If you take great care in your sporting relationships with all partners because you have a compassion and love for what the sporting world has to offer and you value and want to advance the diversity of experiences and perspectives of all coaches and athletes, this could be the opportunity for you.
Your story may have started as an athlete, a coach or a volunteer in sport and this experience has motivated you on your career path. You know the value in diverse teams, voice and thought and you seek to include, accept and amplify such diverse participation. Your experience will help you add value to our teams in a safe, inclusive and accountable environment by providing leadership, planning, operations and logistics support. Your voice will be important in collaboration with our partners across Queen’s Division of Student Affairs, in league operations and at other U SPORTS and Ontario University Athletics (OUA)
As a leader in this role you will have the opportunity to focus on four principal areas: operational/logistical leadership and support for varsity teams based on annual training and competition schedules, oversight and compliance with U SPORTS and OUA policies and regulations for varsity teams and clubs participating in sanctioned competitions, managing annual financial, facility and human resource requirements; supporting the planning and implementation of a range of events (i.e. seasonal play, play-offs, U SPORTS Championships, Color Awards and Camps).
The actions you will take to advance our High Performance unit will involve independent decision making, individual initiative, the flexibility in regular work hours and growing an understanding of the post-econdary environment.
We accept that career stories are unique and we want to hear yours! Share your story by applying soon as we will consider candidates until we find our next team member.
Have questions? Want to chat further? Would you like to read the full position description? Reach out to us at ARCHR@queensu.ca
• Promote a culture of service and inclusion that embodies A&R values, with a commitment to the university’s equity, diversity, accessibility, and inclusion initiatives designed to foster an inclusive, supportive, and welcoming work environment for individuals with diverse backgrounds and identities.
• In collaboration with the Director, High Performance Sport Operations, plans, develops and implements annual and long-term strategic planning, budgeting, workforce planning, coach/employee selection and day-to-day operations of the High Performance (HP) sport unit.
• Develops, monitors and evaluates all high-performance sport budgets, financial management and reporting, responsibility for Information System Management.
• Oversees the planning and responsibility for sport operations and logistics to support elements of the sport high performance plans on an annual basis.
• Act as the primary OUA/U SPORTS liaison and networks with the league organizers and other institutions on sport-related (i.e. scheduling), league administration (i.e. rules and regulations) and compliance matters (data submission, regulations, motions, appeals, etc.).
• Assumes administrative responsibility for the coordination of the high-performance coaching staff, working closely and collaboratively with the Associate Director, Human Resources to determine standards, certifications, forms, and documentation required for participation and with OUS, U Sport and
• Other duties as assigned by the Director.
• Participates in and contributes to meetings with regards to strategic planning, budget and human resources issues.
• Manages and coordinates Varsity Team operational requirements for uniforms/apparel, athletic equipment purchase orders and facility request (both on and off-campus) by Coaches and Staff for training, competition.
• Prepares and presents annual reports, analyzes data, recommending changes/enhancements to programs and/or new resources for continued improvement.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Plans, prioritizes, and manages the work of employees, providing strategic and tactical advice, guidance and coaching. Identifies the need for staff resources, participates on staffing committees, and makes effective recommendations regarding employee selection.
• Manages performance by establishing performance standards, reviewing, and evaluating performance and conducting formal performance reviews on an ongoing basis, addressing labour relations matters as necessary up to and including termination.
• Investigates, addresses, and resolves employee/labour relations.
• Undertakes other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: (consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience)
• Post secondary completion, in applicable area of study such as Physical Education, Sport Management, Business Administration, etc.
• Previous work experience (5-10 years) in sport management, program management or equivalent.
• Experience with partners such as coaches, student-athletes and sport experts.
• Experience with an applicable demographic within a provincial, national, international sport context.
• Extensive knowledge of team annual planning and logistic and/or league operations coordination.
• Awareness and appreciation of cross-cultural issues and practical/theoretical experiences of equity, diversity and inclusion.
• Strong understanding of how sports and athletics impact the student experience and the role athletics and recreation have in healthy communities.
• Familiarity with sport organizing structures (i.e. OUA, U SPORTS, etc. provincial/national sport organizing) and governance of eligibility, rules, policies, and regulations.
• Demonstrated supervisory experience (management level) and evidence of positive leadership and staff engagement.
• Knowledge and understanding of the sport culture and environment within a University, provincial or national sport context.
• Satisfactory Criminal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening Check required.
Employment Equity and Accessibility Statement
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Queen’s is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In
accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
The University provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant’s accessibility needs. Candidates requiring
accommodation during the recruitment process are asked to contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.