Manager, Event Delivery & Engagement
About Queen’s University
Queen’s University is the Canadian research intensive university with a transformative student learning
experience. Here the employment experience is as diverse as it is interesting. We have opportunities in multiple areas of globally recognized research, faculty administration, engineering & construction, athletics & recreation, power generation, corporate shared services, and many more.
We are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from individuals from equity seeking groups such as women, racialized/visible minorities, Indigenous/Aboriginal peoples, persons with a disability, persons who identify in the LGBTQ+ community and others who reflect the diversity of Canadian society.
Come work with us!
Reporting to the Associate Director, Facilities & Operations, the Manager, Events & Fan Experience is
responsible for the development, direction and implementation of a comprehensive events plan designed to enhance the mission, image and reputation of all events delivered within Queen’s University Athletics and Recreation (A&R) facilities. The Manager will proactively develop and implement strategies that serve to enhance the profile and awareness of the “Queen’s University Gaels” brand locally, provincially and nationally, with the goal of increasing spectatorship, promoting Queen’s as an event destination, and
increasing participation across A&R programs. This position involves the management of a large student staff team to deliver effective and engaging events, both for the department, and for larger external bookings.
The incumbent will be responsible for event management and will work closely with the Manager, Partnerships & Communication.
The schedule for this position requires the incumbent to work flexible hours according to program area needs, including frequent evenings and weekends.
• Develop and execute an event plan that allows A&R to maximize fan attendance and engagement in all venues.
• Provide leadership to the Events & Fan Experience team, providing the necessary strategic vision and direction in event delivery.
• Assist the senior management team to bid and secure major sport (and/or entertainment) events to be staged at A&R venues.
• Develop the annual event delivery calendar and outline key dates and milestones within the calendar.
• Liaise with OUA and USports for provincial and national championship hosting protocols.
• For all events, establish and develop customer satisfaction criteria objectives, ensuring project delivery to customer requirements.
• Communicate with OUA and USports visiting institutions regarding event requirements.
• Actively engage in the planning and coordination of all events for varsity and club programs, providing leadership to staff.
• Provide event management leadership and coordination for department specific events.
• Specifically engage in event management for external third party events to increase venue maximization and experience.
• Demonstrate a standard of professionalism in event management, providing training and guidance to staff to demonstrate standard.
• Manage the events budget for the department; develop budget for specific events and conduct reconciliation and reporting.
• Provide regular pre and post event briefings, develop and have ownership over all event scripting.
• Design and implement new fan engagement activities and actively engage in the delivery planning processes.
• Conduct outreach activities to student populations at Queen’s and across the local community to promote and enhance attendance statistics and assist with the logistical planning to facilitate attendance.
• Execute in-game experience evaluations such as surveys, feedback tools via ticketing, etc. and provide analysis and presentations on feedback.
• Present recommendations, develop plans and execute on event delivery adjustments based on fan experience.
• Demonstrate an awareness of trends in fan experience and use knowledge to improve engagement and events.
• Work with the senior management team to initiate and cultivate relationships on campus, locally and nationally, within and outside sport, to enhance the profile and awareness of athletic and recreation facilities, programs and activities.
• Research and direct activities that will increase the A&R customer base and that will respond to trends in the sport and entertainment market.
• Participate in and contribute to meetings regarding strategic planning, budgeting and human resource management.
• Promote a culture of inclusivity that embodies A&R values, with a commitment to the university’s Indigenization, equity, diversity, inclusivity, accessibility and anti-racism initiatives designed to foster an inclusive, supportive, and welcoming environment for individuals with diverse backgrounds and identities.
• Create a positive team environment working toward common goals and vision.
• Plan, prioritize and manage the work of employees, providing strategic and tactical advice, guidance and coaching. Identify the need for staff resources, participate on staffing committees, and make effective recommendations regarding employee selection.
• Provide leadership to one full-time events coordinator and a large casual staff.
• Manage performance by establishing performance standards, reviewing and evaluating performance and conducting formal performance reviews on an ongoing basis.
• Assess staff training and development needs and ensure that employees receive training required to improve and sustain successful performance.
• Investigate, address and resolve employee/labour relations issues up to and including termination.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Post-Secondary completion in a related field such as Event Management, Project Management, Sports Management, or other applicable area of study.
• Several years (5 minimum) of experience managing high level event delivery.
• Demonstrated experience applying project management principles.
• Familiarity and experience working in a fast-paced sport environment, in a similar role, is an asset.
• High degree of familiarity with sport and or recreation program delivery.
• Demonstrated understanding of the impact of event delivery on the participant and fan experience.
• Demonstrated understanding of the impact of sports and athletics on student experience.
• Proven relationship building experience with demonstrated skills in organizing, motivating and working effectively with senior leadership.
• Demonstrated creativity and innovation in approach to work.
• Experience in supervision and management in a unionized environment.
• Satisfactory Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening required.
• Consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Strong customer service orientation with a demonstrated passion for the university and its people.
• Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills, creative and innovative-thinking and the ability to work in a team environment.
• Ability to ask the right questions to get a quick understanding of a program or initiative to develop rich communications/narratives.
• Advanced computer skills with proficiency in using a variety of system and social media platforms and the ability to adapt to new tools to support changes in trends.
• Proven ability to develop vision, content and execute at a high level.
• Advanced organizational and logistics experience displayed through project management.
• Ability to see beyond potential communication and project challenges and think creatively about solutions.
• Ability to stay focused and flexible in a fast-paced and at time, ambiguous environment with the ability to cope with multiple demands, manage competing priorities, meet multi-faceted deadlines and deal with confidential material on a regular basis with discretion.
• Ability to interact with people at all levels of the University with the highest professional standards of conduct.
• Excellent judgement and clear and precise communication skills; written, verbal listening and presentation, including a high degree of diplomacy and confidentiality.
• Initiative and self-motivation; ability to foster a climate of inclusion, openness, and trust while participating on and leading teams; experience organizing and coordinating efforts with many stakeholders and multiple objectives.
• Provide advice and recommendations to the Associate Director and senior management team.
• Develop alternatives or a range of solutions to a given problem, identifying potential risks and benefits to each and make a recommendation on the best course of action.
• Determine when decisions should be forwarded to Associate Director and/or a senior management team member. Exercise appropriate discretion in dealing with highly sensitive situation and information.
• Recognize, analyze and solve problems across projects and in complex situations.
• Apply guidelines and procedures that require some interpretation when dealing with exceptions.
• Consider the risks and consequences of action and/or decisions.
• Evaluate employee performance and decide on appropriate training or coaching to address lack of proficiency in carrying out responsibilities, or remedial actions to address.
• Decide on work prioritization and time management.
• Decide on most effective method of achieving goals and objectives within available resources.
• Determine the appropriate content and tone of proposals, briefs, and reports written for academic and administrative stakeholders.
• Evaluate job candidates and makes effective recommendations on suitable hires.
• Make decision and/or effective recommendations regarding transfers and promotions.
Employment Equity and Accessibility Statement
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Queen’s is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
The University provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant’s accessibility needs. Candidates requiring accommodation during the recruitment process are asked to contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.