High Performance Program – Podium Pathway Manager (PPM)
Due to the growth of our High-Performance Program across all five of our Olympic and Paralympic disciplines, Canada Snowboard is seeking a Podium Pathway Manager (PPM) to lead the evolution and integration of Canada Snowboard’s Podium Pathway across our High Performance Program and all disciplines. In supporting the needs of the High Performance Program, the PPM will lead project-based high performance development programs and initiatives with the goal of developing more athletes who can reach the podium at major international competitions (such as the FIS Junior World Championships) and who will progress towards the NextGen program, with purpose and by design, while supporting the transitional period between the PTSA/club programs and the Canada Snowboard High Performance Program (HPP).
The PPM will work cross-departmentally, in collaboration with the Sport and System Development
Department and the CS Sport Pathway Manager, to ensure Youth Performance Program (YPP)
‘Performance’ initiatives serve the needs of each discipline while ensuring a clear athlete pathway exists into the HPP. The PPM will lead the implementation of Canada Snowboard’s talent identification and talent transfer initiatives, athlete development in domestic operations and lead the development of identified athletes in collaboration with the Youth Performance Program (YPP), the Sport and System Development Department, and the Provincial and Territorial Snowboard Associations (PTSA’s).
Under the direction of the High Performance Sr. Managers (HPM Speed and Style), the Podium Pathway
Manager (PPM) is responsible for managing and leading the development of Canada Snowboard’s High
Performance Podium Pathway and related initiatives and will also work closely with the High
Performance Program coaching staff to implement programming and initiatives essential in progressing athletes into the NextGen Programs of each discipline.
The PPM will focus on three key areas: Oversee and lead the refinement and integration of the Podium
Pathway and Gold Medal Profile across all disciplines while assisting with the alignment of the Athlete
Development Matrix (ADM); serve as the High Performance Lead within the Youth Performance Program (YPP) focusing on athlete identification and development to ensure the needs of each discipline are met and; and provide direct mentorship and support to the High Performance Speed Coaching Staff though coach development and other initiatives.
Key responsibilities shall include, but are not limited to:
• Work within the High Performance Program to develop a seamless and integrated Athlete Development System, striving on performance and demonstrated results.
• Lead the implementation of a clear athlete development pathway via the recommendation and integration of the Gold Medal Profile (GMP), Athlete Development Matrix (ADM) and Podium Pathway (PP).
• Lead, develop, and implement projects with the objective of progressing athletes along the Podium Pathway.
• Lead the review, completion, and implementation of the Gold Medal Profile and its implementation across the Canada Snowboard system.
• Support the CS Sport Pathway Manager on the alignment of the Athlete Development Matrix (ADM) with the Gold Medal Profile (GMP) and Podium Pathway (PP).
• Manage performance tracking for LTAD Stages Train to Compete (T2C) through Learn to Win (L2W).
• Work cross-departmentally to assist on athlete development initiatives though the Youth Performance Program (YPP) to support the development of identified athletes, with a strong emphasis on ‘Performance’ initiatives within the YPP.
• Work cross-departmentally to collaborate on talent identification and talent transfer initiatives though the Youth Performance Program (YPP) to develop depth charts of athletes with podium potential consistent with the Gold Medal Profile and Podium Pathway.
• Develop strong relationships with key stakeholders, leading in alignment with Canada Snowboard’s values, to build trust and credibility in the Youth Performance Program (YPP) and Podium Pathway initiatives, in collaboration with the CS Sport Pathway Manager.
• Work in strong collaboration with the High-Performance Sr. Manager’s (HPM’s) of Speed and Style, along with the Head Coaches of all disciplines, to ensure alignment and efficiencies are optimized for training and competition projects with the CS HPP teams.
• Work with the Provincial and Territorial Sport Associations (PTSA), in collaboration with the CS Sport and System Development Department, to identify and mentor high performance coaches to participate in major international Junior competitions such as Youth Olympic Games (YOG) and FIS Junior World Championships (JWC), with the goal of providing experience, education, and exposure of system coaches.
• Forge strong partnerships with the Canadian Sport Institutes (CSI) to support athlete and coach development.
• Contribute to the ongoing development and evolution of Selection Protocols and Policies within the High Performance Program.
• Work with the High Performance Program Speed coaches to optimize yearly and quadrennial planning, and budgeting, NextGen vision and strategy, and personalized professional development plans, with the goal of continuing their coaching education and progressing their career plans.
• Liaise with key stakeholders and partners, to ensure venue agreements and access are in place specific to the Speed teams needs in collaboration with the National Team Coaches.
You are a curious thinker with a performance-based mindset who approaches challenges with an open mind. You have a knack for strategy, are able to communicate effectively and take initiative within their work. You bring multi-faced experience from within the Canadian sport system and the sport of
Snowboarding. Ideally, you will have experience, a relevant university degree/diploma, requisite
(current) coach certifications, and demonstrate leadership capabilities and teamwork in all that you do. In that regard, you are an excellent cultural fit with the organization, are able to work independently, and are looking to grow with the organization. Above all this, you have the ability to balance results demands with a caring culture given your ethical framework that fits our core values.
Your strength lies in your personal attributes combined with relevant experience in a fast-paced environment that includes knowledge of the sport industry, the sport of snowboarding, and the Canadian Sport landscape.
General Qualifications and Skills Requirements
Being a detail orientated, organized and passionate individual, your performance-based approach is underpinned by:
• A degree/diploma in Sport Administration or similar, or equivalent work experience;
• 3-5 years of experience working in a member services environment that is multi-faceted, fast paced and requires effective management of time sensitive tasks;
• Sound understanding of a National Sport and/or competitive/High Performance environment, including knowledge of key stakeholders such as the Canadian Sport Institute, Own the Podium, Canadian Olympic Committee, Canadian Paralympic Committee, Sport Canada and the International Ski and Snowboard Federation (FIS). Knowledge of the sport of snowboarding, and specifically the Speed based disciplines (Alpine Snowboard, Snowboardcross and ParaSnowboard);
• Superb proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, Google suite, and understating of Adobe,
QuickBooks and other database management programs; o With an emphasis on proficiency in Excel and Tableau to create and refine ranking/tracking/performance charts and dashboards.
• A current CSCP coaching certification, with a CSCP Competition Development ‘Certified’ coaching certification being considered an additional asset.
• Written and verbal communication skills in English with an ability to communicate in French, while not essential, would be an considered an asset;
• Experience in overseeing project budgets with some familiarity of basic accounting principles, budgeting, and related workflows;
• Ability to work effectively, independently, and professionally with minimal supervision while demonstrating excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
The Application ProcessI
if you are passionate about High Performance Sport, a superb communicator, sport system leader and a performance-focused professional, and know that you possess the requisite experience, skills and education, please submit your cover letter outlining what you think are the top three reasons why you’re an ideal candidate, along with a resume and references no later than Tuesday May 30th, 2023, 17h00 PDT to:
Kim Krahulec, High Performance Program Sr. Manager – Speed, Canada Snowboard
• Email: email@example.com
With copy to:
Tyler Ashbee, High Performance Program Sr. Manager – Park & Pipe, Canada Snowboard
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Canada Snowboard is committed to employment equity, providing a welcoming and safe work environment and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. This position is on a full-time basis with a remote working model. Evening and weekend work will be required from time to time. Some travel, both foreign and domestic, will be required.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Financial support for this position is provided by Sport Canada and Canada Snowboard’s discretionary revenue.