Head Swim Coach – Full Time
The Hamilton Aquatic Club (HAC) is seeking a Head Coach
Start Date: Immediately
HAC is a Non-Profit swim club that has a 90-year history in Hamilton, and between 400-450 swimmers across our Swim School, Junior Competitive, and Competitive Programs. HAC is looking for a Head Coach who will foster the love of the sport with our swimmers and bring positive energy and focus on engaging our swimmers. The Head Coach will oversee all aspects of our program, including direct coaching
responsibilities, and will work collaboratively with our coaching team to identify and move athletes as they progress through our programs, working with swimmers to set and achieve their goals. The overall objective of the position is to continue to guide and grow HAC’s programs to produce the highest
attainable levels of personal and competitive excellence. The Head Swim Coach will develop the skills and talents of swimmers and coaching staff while promoting teamwork and encouraging personal development and excellence. The Head Coach will foster positive relationships and communicate well with HAC coaches and staff, swimmers, parents, and the Board of Directors.
Major responsibilities and expectations include:
Coaching and Program Development
· Serving as Head Coach for all levels of HAC’s swim programs, leading the development and
execution of programming, and acting as a professional advisor to Board of Directors.
· Primary coaching responsibilities for senior age group and high-performance groups, including on deck coaching, dryland training preparation and supervision, and program development.
· Building a well-rounded meet schedule for HAC athletes and integrating into HAC’s own
historically established hosted meet schedule in collaboration with HAC Coaches.
· Attending, evaluating, and supervising swimmers at competitive events both at home and
away without additional compensation aside from authorized expenses.
· Planning and implementing training camps, summer programs, and other training experiences.
Coach Supervision and Development
· Supervising, mentoring, and succession planning of HAC coaches, including determining and
implementing coaches training and professional development opportunities.
· Engaging regularly with coaches, through hosting monthly coaching meetings, practice
visits, and individual meetings.
· Conducting annual performance evaluations for all coaching staff, including mid-season
evaluations and feedback meetings.
Communication & Professionalism
· Developing and rolling out an annual communication plan, in collaboration with the Executive Director and HAC coaches, including monthly communications about group and pool schedules, member recognition, meet schedules and results, and other key information.
· Engaging in regular and proactive communication with athletes and families, providing updates and key goals for the group and individual swimmers, and returning communications within 48-hours with swimmers, families, coaches, staff, and the board of directors, and external stakeholders.
· Serving as a role model for youth with the ability to demonstrate the values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility, and have a positive and encouraging nature in a safe and inclusive environment.
· Making positive connections at our pools with lifeguards, community members, and other
swim coaches and teams.
· Creating a fun and inviting learning environment to encourage athlete growth and retention.
· Using assigned HAC technology and communication tools for business purposes (e.g., Outlook 365, TU) and adhere to the HAC Technology Use Policy for Staff/Users.
· Leading the development and monitoring of annual operational plan, with a focus on program and group structure, athlete allocation to groups, move-up processes, practice schedules, coach development, etc.
· Identifying and setting operational budget needs (e.g., trips, travel, meets, coach professional development, swimmer support strategies, clinics, and any other items that may impact the budget etc.) and contributing to annual budget preparation, in collaboration with the Executive Director, to be approved by the Board of Directors.
· Collaborating with the Board of Directors and Executive Director in developing a 5-year strategic plan, including short- and long-term visioning and goals, incorporating feedback from staff and stakeholders.
· Performing administrative tasks as required by Hamilton Aquatic Club, Swim Canada and Swim
Ontario including meet management, move-up management and dryland planning.
· Minimum NCCP Age Group Coach Certified Level 2, higher certifications are considered an asset.
· Providing in up-to-date police record check and vulnerable sector check that is acceptable to the Board of Directors of HAC prior to commencing employment with HAC, and provide subsequent checks as required under club policies or as may be required by law;
· Maintaining coaching certification with Swim Ontario and abiding by the Swim Ontario Coaches Code of Conduct and Ethics.
· Must pass all appropriate background checks and Safe Sport Certification.
· Current NLS & Standard First Aid an asset.
· Knowledge of Team Unify Software an asset.
Compensation: Compensation will be commensurate with experience and current qualifications, falling at or above $85,000 CAD for appropriately skilled and experienced candidates. The position includes a comprehensive health benefits package, a structured bonus opportunity contingent on retention and performance targets, professional development remuneration, swim travel expense per diem, and an attractive vacation entitlement.
Interested candidates should send their application, including a resume and cover letter/statement of interest, to Theresa Malar, Executive Director, at Theresa.email@example.com.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. We thank all interested candidates, and those selected for next steps will be contacted.