Head of Marketing
The Vancouver Whistler Games Corporation, a Canadian not-for-profit organization established for the purpose of hosting the 2025 Invictus Games is building its leadership team for the Invictus Games in
Reporting to the CEO, the Head of Marketing and Communications will be responsible for the strategic development, creation, and execution of marketing; communications; media relations; and ambassador and community outreach in support of the Invictus Games 2025 in Vancouver and Whistler. By positioning the Invictus Games and the wider ‘Invictus spirit’ movement as a significant contributor to positive social impact internationally, and highlighting the challenges faced by Veterans, the Head of Marketing and
Communications will help to educate Canadians on the role of the Armed Forces throughout society.
With accountability for Invictus Games 2025 brand awareness and engagement, the development of advertising to drive ticket and merchandise sales, and volunteer recruitment, the successful candidate will have a superb track record of developing and executing winning brands and marketing and communications strategies, from concept to completion. The new incumbent will also be invested in building relationships with a diverse group of partner organizations, generating tangible results.
Working with the Board of Directors and in close partnership with True Patriot Love, the Head of Marketing and Communications will ensure strategic alignment of communications strategies and best practices for donor and supporter engagement. This will include traditional and digital marketing
and communication activities and will be accomplished through a range of channels that enables ease of access, clarity, and consistency of information.
The Head of Marketing and Communications will hire and oversee a team of collaborative, high-performing professionals and provide leadership and coaching, creating a positive work environment in a purpose-driven culture. Both leader and doer, the successful candidate will be equally comfortable delegating, facilitating, and managing as rolling up their sleeves and completing the work, as they are building their team from the ground up.
The Invictus Games 2025 office is in Vancouver, British Columbia. As a flexible work environment, a
combination of in-office and remote work is anticipated. As the Games approach, there will be an expectation to be in the office on a regular basis.
ABOUT THE INVICTUS GAMES
The Invictus Games Foundation was established following the success of the Invictus Games 2014. On a trip to the Warrior Games in the USA in 2013, HRH The Duke of Sussex saw first-hand how the
power of sport can physically, psychologically and socially help those suffering from injuries and illness. He was inspired by his visit and the Invictus Games was born.
The inaugural Invictus Games created a blueprint for inspiring many more ‘wounded warriors’ on their journey of recovery.
The word ‘invictus’ means ‘unconquered’. It embodies the fighting spirit of wounded, injured and sick Service personnel and personifies what these tenacious men and women can achieve post-injury. The
Games harness the power of sport to inspire recovery, support rehabilitation, and generate a wider understanding and respect for those who serve their country. The Invictus Games is about much more than just sport – it captures hearts, challenges minds, and changes lives.
The Invictus Games Foundation is the owner of the brand and the selector of future Host Cities. It exists to ensure that the Invictus Games continue to adhere to the high standards that have been set. It is responsible for sport & competition management, rules & categorisations, and branding. The Foundation is also the final arbiter on the inclusion of additional sports and Participating Nations.
The Foundation has presided over the transition from a one-off inspiring Games to a global movement allowing the ‘Invictus Spirit’ to positively influence all levels of society. People around the world have drawn inspiration from the competitors and their stories of resilience and determination.
THE INVICTUS GAMES VANCOUVER WHISTLER 2025
The year 2025 will mark the 80th anniversary of the end of World War II. The Armed Forces who fought,
and those who continue to serve their nations, ensure the freedoms and democracy we all enjoy. In turn, they deserve our support and appreciation. The Invictus Games in 2025 will honor and raise awareness of their service, provide a new path on the journey of recovery and rehabilitation for those who may need it,
and inspire others around the world with the tenacity, perseverance, strength, and determination of the Invictus Spirit.
The Invictus Games use the power of sport to inspire recovery, support rehabilitation, and generate a wider understanding and respect for wounded, injured and sick servicemembers and Veterans. In February 2025, over 75,000 people worldwide will take over Vancouver and Whistler for the Invictus
Games, including active servicemembers, Veterans, and their families from over 20 nations.
It is planned to be the first hybrid Games to feature both summer and winter adaptive sports, including the new winter sports: Alpine Skiing, Skeleton, Wheelchair Curling, and Nordic Skiing, in addition to the core Invictus Games sports of indoor rowing, sitting volleyball, swimming, wheelchair rugby, and wheelchair basketball.
Vancouver has a history of successfully engaging the general public and building passion, enthusiasm, and support for international sporting events, which in turn have attracted millions of viewers both in-person and on screens around the world. The city has a strong media and marketing program for major events, with a successful track record of delivery including promotional campaigns and signage that encompasses popular attractions, streets, transportation hubs, and public vehicles. During Vancouver 2025, a well-planned and seamlessly executed marketing, broadcast, and communications plan will contribute to the excitement and engagement in Vancouver, across the country, and around the world.
True Patriot Love is working with the Government of Canada, the Province of British Columbia as
Founding Partners of the Invictus Games Vancouver Whistler 2025 and with First Nations in Vancouver and Whistler to ensure the Invictus Games 2025 will be the most innovative and accessible Games to date.
Invictus 2025 Vision:
To take the Invictus Games to new heights through the unrivaled power of sport, innovation, and the
strength of community.
The 2025 vision provides a direct correlation to the Invictus Games Foundation Pillars:
The New Hybrid Sports Format
· Adaptive Sports Year Round
· Family and Friends Role in Recovery Support
· Veterans’ Employment
· Diversity and Inclusion
· Adaptive Snow Sports Research
First Nations Engagement
The Invictus Games 2025 will be held on the traditional territories of the x ʷ məθ kʷə y əm (Musqueam),S ḵwxw ú7mesh (Squamish), S ə l ílw ətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations and L íl wat Nation (Lil’wat). The Invictus Games 2025 are working closely to ensure they respond to Canada’s Truth & Reconciliation Commission Calls to Action, and ensure Indigenous protocols are respected in all aspects of the Games.
Incorporating Indigenous artists, creators and storytellers throughout Vancouver 2025 to contribute meaningfully to Canada’s commitment to achieving reconciliation with First Nations peoples and alignment with the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples will be a key priority.
The First Nations, Inuit and Métis of Canada have a long and proud tradition of military service to our country. While exact numbers are uncertain, it has been estimated that as many as 12,000 First Nations, Métis and Inuit people served in the conflicts of the 20th century, with at least 500 of them sadly losing their lives. In addition, many Indigenous Canadian Armed Forces members saw duty in Afghanistan during 2001-2014. Reinforcing the position of the First Nations in Canada, with emphasis on highlighting the role of Indigenous service personnel, and the extraordinary service of Indigenous Veterans through history will be a core element of the 2025 Games.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
|Vision & Strategy
● Develop marketing and communication strategies in partnership with the senior team and Board
● Develop broadcast strategy in partnership with the senior team and Board
● Establish and monitor the strategies and processes across the marketing cycle to support revenue
● Development of Games ambassador strategy, for both celebrity ambassadors and Veteran ambassadors, in partnership with True Patriot Love
● Leverage data and research (quantity and quality) to inform all revenue/growth strategy
● Build on wider international movements and campaigns for diversity and inclusion, such as WeThe15, where everyone has the opportunity to be a visible and active member of society.
● Lead the overarching brand narrative, in alignment with brand guidelines from the Invictus Games Foundation
● Develop and execute on marketing strategies and plans at the organizational level in line with
● Strategy development for social media, advertising, mailouts, emails, web and internal communication channels, in partnership with True Patriot Love and Invictus Games Foundation
● Oversee development of advertising to drive ticket sales, merchandise sales, brand awareness and recruit volunteers
● Oversee and approve marketing and event materials to ensure adherence to brand guidelines, including signage, medals, merchandise and more
● Data driven approach to decision making through the use of market research, web analytics and internal stats to inform marketing strategy
|● Manage a range of communication activities including stakeholder and public relations, community and partner integration, and ambassador program
● Develop and lead Ambassador strategy, including recruitment and stewardship of high-profile ambassadors
● Work in collaboration with True Patriot Love on securing, training and engaging Veteran and former Invictus competitor Ambassadors
● Lead the coordination and execution of media relations, press releases, PR events, including development of Games media accreditation and on-site media strategy in partnership with Invictus Games Foundation
● Manage internal communications including drafting of emails and memos, announcing of news and initiatives, sharing of key information related to the Games, development of resources for employees and managing communications channels
● Lead website management inclusive of design, updates, maintenance, and content management
● Build and maintain relationships with key external contacts including but not limited to Games stakeholders and partners, suppliers and agencies, media officers within relevant government agencies, departments and ministries, the media
● Measure ROI and improve content performance by tracking and evaluating research, engagement, and analytics
● Develop overarching broadcast strategy, including content development plan and mapping of
● Work with Head of Commercial to secure relevant broadcast partners to deliver on content
● Develop content marketing plan for lead up to Games and during Games to ensure national and
● Oversee the team and provide leadership and coaching through the creation of a positive,
● Ensure clearly defined roles and responsibilities for all individuals being recruited into the
● Accountable for appropriate allocation of resources to fulfill the organization’s initiatives
● Clear accountability processes, best practices, performance reviews, and succession or
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
● Senior level marketing and communications experience, including developing and executing on marketing and communications plans, advertising campaigns, media relations and stakeholder engagement
● Demonstrated experience in the marketing and communications of major events – sporting events an asset
● Exceptional communications skills
o Ability to communicate effectively in a variety of settings and with a variety of stakeholders
o Excellent public presentation skills
o Ability to communicate with all levels internally and externally
● Competency in effective design and vision in order to create compelling, visually appealing, concise and impactful marketing materials and campaigns across multiple channels
● Proven experience building successful relationships with a Board of Directors, CEO and executive leadership team, and other key strategic partners
● Experience working with agencies, external vendors and suppliers, government agencies and co-promoters
● Strong organizational and project management capabilities
● Proven ability to design, implement, manage and make sound business decisions, analyze issues and use logic and reasoning to assess problems and identify workable solutions
● Creative and innovative
● Demonstrated ability to develop and manage relationships in a diverse, multi-stakeholder environment
● Values-based, inspirational leadership skills with proven ability to build high performing teams
● Team player – fosters an environment of open communication and focuses on aligned goals and achieving the strategic objectives as a team
● Results-focused with the ability to operate in a deadline driven, high pressure environment
● Experience working with First Nations Communities, particularly with the First Nations the
Games will take palace on MST+L considered an asset
● A passion for and commitment to making a positive, meaningful impact on the lives of military members, Veterans, and their families.
● Post-secondary degree in marketing/communications, PR, business or other such relevant area of knowledge in a related field or a combination of skills and experience
FOR MORE INFORMATION
The Invictus Games 2025 is working with KCI Search + Talent to recruit passionate and talented candidates for this important position. For more information about this exciting opportunity,
please contact Helena Debnam, Senior Search Consultant, or Ellie Rusonik, Vice President, KCI Search + Talent by email at IG2025Mar@kcitalent.com
To view full position brief, please visit www.kcitalent.com
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. To apply, please send a resume and letter of
interest, to the email address listed above by February 17, 2023.
Invictus Games 2025 welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection
Proof of vaccination may be required for activities the Head of Marketing will be expected to attend such as events, meetings, and travel.
The salary for this position is $130,000 – $150,000. Comprehensive benefits are also provided