Head Coach, U16/U17 Men’s National Team
Head Coach, U16/U17 Men’s National Team
Title Head Coach, U16/U17 Men’s National Team
Department Men’s High Performance
Reports To Assistant General Manager, Men’s High Performance
Deadline Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 11:59pm
Process Send resume and cover letter to Kayla Minott (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the deadline
All Applicants: must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Canada Basketball is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQ+. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, ethnic origin, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, family status or disability or any other protected ground of discrimination.
As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to undergo a successful background check.
As the national association and governing body for the sport of amateur basketball in Canada, Canada Basketball aspires to lead the growth and development of the game at home and pursue medal performances on the international stage. Canada is currently ranked fourth in the FIBA world youth ranking for men and is recognized as a world leader in all aspects of basketball, striving to consistently reach the podium in FIBA competitions and the Olympic Games.
The Head Coach manages the U16/U17 Men’s National Team, reporting directly to the Assistant General Manager and works in close cooperation with the Canada Basketball Senior, Development, U18/U19 Men’s National Team Head Coaches, and other members of the Canada Basketball national office. The Head Coach is also responsible for ensuring alignment of the U16/U17 Men’s National Team program with the philosophy and direction of the Senior and Development National Team programs. Continuity within the Canadian Men’s High-Performance Program will promote the development of world-class athletes for the Senior Men’s National Team program.
● An undergraduate degree or equivalent education is preferred.
● Full Level 3 NCCP Certification, or equivalent.
● Possess a superior knowledge of the technical and tactical aspects of basketball, especially as it relates to the Canadian Style of Play.
● Have experience coaching at the provincial or national levels or equivalent.
● Experience in coaching, playing or knowledge of international or professional basketball.
● Demonstrate the ability to identify, implement, monitor and grow the podium behaviours required by U16/U17 aged athletes, both on and off the court
● Possess a superior knowledge of the Long-Term Athlete Development model (LTAD) and understand the best practices for athlete development at the specific stage and age of the U16/U17 Men’s National Team.
● Experience developing and executing multi-year strategic plans for teams and individual athletes, and team development plans for athletes.
● Experience working with video analysis software (e.g. NacSport) is an asset.
● Experience using different methods of communication in order to adapt and respond to changing environments.
● Have the ability to work as a member of a team of dedicated professionals in the pursuit of common goals.
● Be an active member in good standing of their respective PSO/TSO and Canada Basketball, or equivalent.
Athletes, Integrated Support Team, and Staff
● Foster a high performance culture in all facets of the team environment.
● Lead athletes, coaches, Integrated Support Team, and other high performance staff through effective practices and competitive performances in competition.
● Develop athletes in line with the Canada Basketball style of play and international player profile.
● Coordinate with the Integrated Support Team in order to promote the development of athletes.
● Contribute to the development of Individual Performance Plans for athletes, in collaboration with the assistant coaches and the Integrated Support Team.
● Evaluate the progress of athletes throughout the National Team season and track and monitor prospective U16/U17 National Team athletes in their respective daily training environments, both remotely and in-person, where possible.
● Coordinate with the Performance Analysis team to effectively prepare for competition, practices and debriefs.
● Define expectations and roles for Assistant Coaches, monitor and assess their progress, and provide mentorship and regular feedback.
● Ensure compliance with the Canada Basketball Code of Conduct Policies and Procedures, which can be found on our website.
Canada Basketball Management and Office
● Participate in post-competition debriefs in order to assess and evaluate athlete, staff and team performance.
● Produce a detailed program and technical reports to the Assistant General Manager upon conclusion of the competitive season.
● Assist in the development of a positive image for basketball in Canada by maintaining professional conduct and appearance on and off the court.
● Communicate in a timely manner with the Canada Basketball Office in all matters related to the involvement of the U16/U17 Men’s National Team.
● Be available for meetings as necessary and as requested by Canada Basketball.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Kayla Minott (email@example.com) by
Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 11:59pm.
Canada Basketball is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered will be contacted.
The Canada Basketball office is located on the traditional territory of many nations including the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation, the Six Nations of the Grand River, the Haudenosaunee, the Huron-Wendat and the Anishinaabe people.