Head Coach, Swimming
Head Coach, Swimming
Department of Athletics, Student Affairs
Temporary full-time from September 1, 2023 to April 30, 2024 Temporary absence of the regular incumbent Hiring #: 2023-0338
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Reporting to the Associate Director, Intercollegiate, the Head Coach of the Gryphon’s Swimming Program leads one of the Department’s most highly visible OUA and U Sports programs. The University of Guelph is located in the City of Guelph which is a vibrant community of over 150,000 people, located in south-western Ontario, 100 kilometres west of Toronto.
Consistently ranked one of the best comprehensive universities in Canada, the University of Guelph is committed to the development of the whole student. Intercollegiate programs within the department of Athletics play a valuable role in supporting this mission. These programs provide student-athletes with important experiential learning opportunities that prepare them for life and future employment while in pursuit of excellence. The University has a strong athletics program covering excellence in varsity programs, intramurals, interest classes, lifestyle development, sports clubs and fitness. Extensive athletic and recreation facilities support these programs.
The Head Coach is responsible for all phases of a U Sports program, including, but not limited to: recruitment and retention of academically qualified student-athletes; overall program administration; annual and quadrennial planning, community relations; summer camp/clinic development and administration; practice and game coaching; local Swimming organization player and coach development (Guelph Minor Swimming Association); and strict compliance with OUA/U Sports policies.
The Head Coach will oversee and manage part-time/volunteer assistant coaches, and support staff in addition to the implementation and adherence to the team’s annual budget and be responsible for the purchasing and inventory of equipment and supplies. They will help recruit student-athletes that will enhance the Swimming program and the University of Guelph as an academic institution. They will also be responsible for assisting in fostering an extensive network of Gryphon Swimming Alumni and will provide support in maintaining their ties to the University of Guelph. The position will be responsible for coordinating the ongoing development, delivery, and reporting of programming for Gryphon Summer Swimming Camps.
The successful candidate will have:
- An Undergraduate degree along with extensive experience coaching at the high-performance level (University, professional etc.).
- NCCP High Performance Level I coaching certification or equivalent.
- Value diversity of experiences and perspectives and will play a significant role in supporting and enhancing Athletic and Recreation’s Safe Sport, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and community building efforts, actions and initiatives.
- A knowledge of and commitment to Safe Sport practices, transformational coaching, OUA/U Sports rules and regulations, and the student athlete experience are essential to this role.
- A commitment to excellence
- Superior organizational and communication skills;
- Strong team building and conflict management skills.
- Candidates must have a demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team,
- Must have an understanding and appreciation of the University’s unique environment, as well as adhere to University and Department expectations, policies, and regulations.
(Covering) Position Number 042-071
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2023 07 13
Closing Date: 2023 07 24