We have have an exciting Opportunity for a General Manager!
Canlan Sports is the largest private sector operator and developer of recreational sports complexes in North America. The company’s success in the recreation-entertainment & hospitality industry is attributed to a combination of innovative programming, service delivery leadership and world-class sports complexes. We understand our customers’ need for service excellence and are committed to it.
Reporting to the Regional Director Operations, the General Manager works closely with Senior Management to ensure strategic business objectives are achieved. They are responsible for ensuring that the complex is managed in a manner that contributes to the achievement of objectives established in the annual operating plans, execution of programs and continuous improvement initiatives. To this end, they provide strong and effective day-to-day leadership and management fostering an environment that encourages full team contribution to exceed overall company objectives.
This role is accountable for:
- Sports Complex Culture
- Execution of the Annual Operating Plan
- Customer Experience
- Operational Efficiency
- Health & Safety of both customers and employees
Leadership Competencies and Responsibilities
- Influencing through Developing others and Managing Resources and Conflict
- Set the standard and ensure effective communication and working relationships with all stakeholders resolve conflicts between stakeholders when required.
- Ensure consistent delivery of Canlan Sports products and services to exceed established levels through a variety of ways including regular audits (including OSV), standard operating procedures and NPS Scores.
- Manage tenant relations and adherence to the lease agreement.
- Team Management and Development
- Maintain an effective management and support structure that reflects the complex’s requirements.
- Effectively recruit, select, and hire team members as required while providing targeted support (substitute for shifts) in the event of staff transition or emergency situations.
- Manage and develop sports complex leadership team and ensure that they do the same within their department (inclusive of ongoing learning and development initiatives and related follow up / follow through).
- Uphold and ensure all team members adhere to The Canlan Sports Mission, Vision, and Culture Statements, The Customer Service Charter, company policies, standard operating procedures, best practices, and reporting systems.
- Manage team performance in-line with internal policies by conducting performance reviews, reviewing, and establishing KPI’s, and implementing corrective action where necessary.
- Participate in ongoing communication with Canlan Sports Central team, Performance Manager and In-house Convenor, other GMs, in-complex DepartmentalManagers, and staff, as required.
- Through a variety of methods including, but not limited to, facilitating regular team meetings, communicate goals, objectives, and expectations, including those outlined in the Operations Game Plan, to department staff and monitor performance against them.
- Contribute to, support, and implement diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Decision Making, Financial and Work Management
- Support Senior Management in developing and implementing the overall strategic plan.
- Ensure complex assets are maintained according to manufacturer specifications to ensure life expectancy and following Standard Operating Procedures as per the Quality Management System.
- Review and analyse department performance within established deadlines and as required.
- Collaborate and share best practices with Canlan Sports Senior Leadership team.
- Manage complex payroll. Review and approve payroll prior to submission for processing.
- Ensure the Accounts Receivable process is managed.
- Review and approve related purchase orders and invoices prior to submission for processing.
- Provide complex financial & business data and forecasts as required (weekly, bi-weekly, and quarterly).
- Manage month end reporting procedures by analyzing and interpreting all financial reports, forecasts developing corrective measures / actions as required.
- Develop Annual Operating Plan (AOP) in conjunction with the appropriate teams.
- Sales and Marketing Leadership and Ability
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships within the complex’s community and catchment area to maximize revenue.
- Ensure all Managers and staff are directly focused on exceeding customer service expectations using NPS scores and targets as our goals to exceed.
- Align goals, priorities, KPI’s and execution strategies with overall company objectives.
- Lead complex and community initiatives in alignment with the overall company objectives for social responsibility and community engagement.
- Partner with the Regional Sales Manager to ensure execution is delivered on agreements, maintain strong relationships with key accounts, and participate in meetings as required.
- Adhere to all Risk Management policies and procedures as governed by legislative requirements.
- Comply with and support the Sports Complex Health and Safety Committee. Enforce Health and Safety Standards with team members to ensure a safe working environment and a safe customer environment for the complex as detailed in the Risk Management checklist.
- Ensure that an active Health and Safety Committee exists and is properly run in the complex and minutes posted as required. Support the Office Manager in their role as Chair Member of the Health and Safety Committee, or undertake the role of Chair in their absence.
- Ensure all department staff are trained in emergency response as relevant to their role and in line with policy. Training includes Ammonia, CO and Fire Response, and implementation, location and use of Complex Emergency Plan, Incident Reports, First Aid Kit, Eye Wash Station and Defibrillator.
- Is and ensures all complex members are “HAZCOM” / “WHMIS” and “Workplace Violence” trained before first shift.
- Uphold and implement appropriate use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when required.
- Energy & Environmental Management
- Ensure consideration for best practices in energy use management and environmental impact are employed in all projects.
- Work with Director Ops and Director Energy, Assets & Efficiency to optimize processes within their complex, maintaining company standards.
Key Performance Indicators (KPI)
- Culture Survey Results
- Financial Results (Revenue Targets and EBITDA)
- Customer Satisfaction NPS Score
- Labour and Cost Savings
- Employee Workers Compensation and Customers – Public Health Records
- OSV Scores of >2.8
This individual will build strategic relationships with others to advance the success of their complex and the Canlan Sports organization as a whole.
- Product Manager, Adult Leagues & Tournaments
- Product Manager, Camps & Instructional Programs
- Product Manager, Youth Leagues & Tournament
- Director of Operations – North America
- Business Unit Manager Operations
- Performance Manager(s)
- Office Manager
- Operations Manager
- Food and Beverage Manager (if applicable to location)
- Sales Coordinator
Qualifications and Education
- Diploma or Degree in Business, Recreation, Facility Management or a combination of experience and education Industry.
Abilities, Attributes and Experience
- At least 5 years of in sports facility management, including strong program marketing experience, food and beverage exposure and facility maintenance.
- Demonstrated strong team leadership and development ability.
- Entrepreneurial sales & business development skills (in a sports / recreational environment).
- Strong established customer and client focus.
- Experience with the technical aspects of ice making and maintenance (preferred).
- Acute business acumen and understanding of how business requirements and dynamics relate to execution and success.