The Bell Aliant Centre / CARI Complex in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, has a key leadership opportunity for a General Manager. This position is responsible for providing oversight to all facets of the complex. This includes leading a management team responsible for direct program delivery; scheduling; event management; program development; facility and asset management; capital project management; financial management including budget development and reporting; oversight of leases, contracts and agreements; public relations, partner/stakeholder/tenant relationship management and acting as the principal resource to the Board of Directors for the proper governance of Capital Area Recreation Incorporated (CARI).
Board of Directors, Capital Area Recreation Incorporated (“CARI”)
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE:
Friday, August 19, 2022
ABOUT THE BELL ALIANT CENTRE / CARI COMPLEX:
The CARI Complex, with official naming rights as the Bell Aliant Centre (2016), and the MacLauchlan Arena were built to facilitate the residents of Charlottetown, Stratford, and the surrounding area and is fully accessible to the public as well as to the University’s population. The aquatics facility houses an eight-lane, 82 feet (25 metre) competition swimming pool, a leisure pool with a waterslide, a toddler’s pool and a whirlpool. The MacLauchlan Arena, which officially opened in 2003, houses two NHL-sized ice surfaces and is named after well-known Island businessman, Harry MacLauchlan.
- Work with the Board of Directors and stakeholders to develop and implement a strategic plan for the organization;
- Provide leadership to a management team for the delivery of all programs and services related to the safe, efficient, and effective operation of the Complex;
- Lead in all matters related to Human Resource Management including all personnel-related policy and procedures and file management;
- Ensure that performance management is an integral part of all employee/employer relationships;
- Create opportunities for professional growth among all employees;
- Ensure that all emergency preparedness plans are up to date including requisite staff training and supports;
- Act as the primary spokesperson for tenants; user groups, media, the public and partners;
- Provide oversight to the Manager of Finance in the development of operational and capital budgets;
- Negotiate and manage agreements and contracts with tenants, user groups, event organizers, contractors and any third-party service providers;
- Work strategically with the Board of Directors and stakeholders to ensure the mission and vision of the organization are upheld;
- Ensure that the confidentiality of CÁRI affairs is respected and practiced at all times;
- Develop and provide oversight to all operational policies;
- Provide the Board of Directors with timely and accurate advice and information to facilitate good governance.
This job description reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to lead a team, in a positive, productive, diverse, and inclusive work environment
- Knowledge of principles of facility/asset management
- Effective written and oral communication skills including presentation skills
- Ability to write policy
- Knowledge of current trends in the recreation and sport industry
- Strong relationship skills as it pertains to all aspects of the position, with personnel, board members, the general public, media, stakeholders, elected officials, contractors, tenants and patrons
- Ability to carry out all matters related to human resource management and knowledge of all practices
- Knowledge of occupational health and safety requirements
- Knowledge of project management principles and practices
- The work is typically performed in an office environment, around the sporting complex, and includes oversight/onsite support to the management team for the aquatics and pool environments.
- Some travel required, not extensive.
- May be faced with dealing with disruptive members of the public.
- May be on call due to 24/7 nature of operations and if an incident erupts.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Post-Secondary Degree in recreation, sport, or related discipline/industry
- Senior-level experience in a leadership role in a not-for-profit or business sector
- Experience in working with a Board of Directors
- Experience in Strategic Planning
- Experience in Human Resource Management
- Experience in Project Management.
- One or more relevant professional designations or certifications (considered a strong asset)
- Evidence of continuous learning
Join us and become part of our amazing and diverse work family.
The Bell Aliant Centre / CARI Complex is fully committed to creating an inclusive environment and building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, religion, ethnicity, gender, disability, citizenship status, marital status, actual or perceived sexual orientation. We thank all applicants for their interest but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Permanent / Full-Time / Year Round
$96,000 – $103,000 per annum
Commensurate with education and related experience.
Health Benefits, RRSP, and other discretionary benefits.
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE:
Friday, August 19, 2022
Please apply online only.
**Your cover letter should clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements as outlined.
Search services provided via our recruitment partner, Carvo Group. Inquiries may be sent to email@example.com.