Fitness Assistant – City Wide
Temporary Part Time
The City of Markham, an award-winning municipality with more than 355,000 residents, is Canada’s high-tech capital and most diverse community, enjoying a rich heritage, outstanding community planning and services, and a vibrant local economy. Committed to being a model of public service excellence, with a workforce that is representative of the population we serve, we are looking for people who share our values and are champions of innovative practices. Diversity is one of Markham’s strategic priorities, and we strive to develop and maintain an environment that is inclusive and creates a sense of belonging for all.
We are pleased to be named one of Canada’s Best Employers for 2022 and the best City employer by
Forbes for the second consecutive year. The City of Markham is ranked in the top two for Government Services and 15th among the 300 employers on the list, advancing from 18th place in 2021.
Applications are now being accepted for the above mentioned position in the Recreation Services –
Fitness Department, Community Services Commission. To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume online. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis as positions are available.
- Aaniin Fitness Centre
- Centennial Fitness Centre
- Cornell Fitness Centre
- Pan Am Fitness Centre
- Thornhill Fitness Centre
Reporting to the Fitness Coordinator the Fitness Assistant is responsible for providing a safe and
enjoyable experience for all members and guests using the fitness center. They will serve as a resource for members and guests, provide tours to new members, provide general instruction on the safe
use of all fitness equipment, monitor locker rooms and the general provision of the on-site supervision of patrons of the Fitness Centre.
· Unlocks and locks-up Fitness Centre as required
· Supervises activity with the fitness centre, ensuring a safe environment to prevent injuries or accidents.
· Organizes the physical set-up and general clean-up of the Fitness Centre
· Providing friendly and courteous tours to potential members
· Promoting appraisals and programming services
· Obtaining and screening medical/health history of members
· Providing instruction to members on exercise and equipment use
· Recommending fitness programs and/or special events
· Compiling and summarizing member/program participant statistics
· Supporting the new member onboarding program as required
· Advises Fitness Coordinator and Fitness Counsellor of any member service issues, complaints or inquiries.
· Ensures the site, equipment and supplies are appropriate to the activity and environment to reduce and minimize risk to other staff and participants.
· Currently enrolled or working towards a post-secondary diploma/degree in Kinesiology or
related or College Fitness and Lifestyle Management Program or related program
· Possess a valid Personal Training or group fitness Certification (CanFit Pro, ACSM, CPTN, NSCA or equivalent) an asset.
· 6+ months experience in Fitness/Customer Service related position.
· Standard First Aid with CPR ‘C’
· Good verbal/written communication skills, customer service skills and sensitivity to interact with a diversity of participants and staff in a courteous and efficient manner.
· Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
· Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change.
· Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships.
Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening.
· Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation.
· Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example.
The City of Markham is committed to inclusive, accessible and barrier free employment practices and to creating a workplace that reflects and supports the diversity of the community we serve. Please let us know if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to ensure a barrier free hiring process.
The City of Markham has established a mandatory vaccination requirement for staff related to the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, should you be a successful candidate for a position with the City of Markham you will be required to provide proof of 2 Health Canada approved vaccination doses upon a conditional
offer of employment. Should you require accommodation in accordance with the Human Rights policy with respect to your vaccine status, you will be required to disclose that at the time of conditional offer so that an accommodation can be developed prior to your start date.