Founded in 1910 and located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Mount Royal University grew into a vibrant college in the 1930s and became a mid-sized university in 2009. Mount Royal has carved out a distinct niche by offering smaller class sizes, a robust liberal education and unique undergraduate programs. Currently, more than 15,000 credit students choose from 13 bachelor degrees and 38 majors.
Mount Royal University is located in the traditional territories of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) and the people of the Treaty 7 region in southern Alberta, which includes the Siksika, the Piikani, the Kainai, the Tsuut’ina and the Iyarhe Nakoda. We are situated on land where the Bow River meets the Elbow River. The traditional Blackfoot name of this place is “Mohkinstsis,” which we now call the city of Calgary. The city of Calgary is also home to the Métis Nation.
Mount Royal University is committed to removing barriers and fostering the inclusion of voices that have been historically underrepresented or discouraged in our society. In support of our belief that diversity in our faculty and staff enriches the work, learning and research experiences for the entire campus community, we strongly encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply and self-identify.
About the Department of Cougars Athletics and Recreation
Mount Royal University Cougars Athletics and Recreation takes an inclusive, student-centered approach in offering groups and individuals opportunities to bolster their health and wellness through a wide range of programming and activities ranging from beginner sports enthusiasts to our eight Cougars varsity athletic programs.
About the Role
This position works directly with numerous members of the department of Cougars Athletics and Recreation, in particular with the Director and three Associate Directors, and is responsible for assisting with the planning, developing, and implementation of the overall financial activities of the department. The Financial Officer operates in accordance with the regulations, standards, policies, and procedures set forth by the university and the Director in order to be consistent with strategic objectives. The Financial Officer stewards the department’s assets, resources, and transactions.
Reporting directly to the Director of CAR, the Financial Officer is a member of the department’s senior leadership team. The primary role is to provide expert advice and analysis to the Director and three Associate Directors in overseeing the financial management function of Athletics, Facilities, Marketing & Partnerships, and Recreation by providing a full range of financial and analytical support adding value and alignment with the strategic direction of the department, the division, and institution. The incumbent is required to work with confidential information and must exercise discretion. The work involves demanding and competing deadlines and requires a high level of accuracy and thoroughness. The incumbent must be able to analyze financial information obtained from a variety of sources in order to provide recommendations. A comprehensive knowledge base of accounting principles is necessary in order to interpret the financial activity of both areas as well as the broader scope of the Division and the institution.
The incumbent works directly with the Director, Cougars Athletics and Recreation to ensure appropriate budgetary control systems and operations best practices are in place as well as to provide various reports and analyses. The incumbent also works closely with Financial Services and provides substantive analysis for quarter-end and year-end reporting purposes, requiring in-depth knowledge and understanding of all financial activity within the department.
The Financial Officer provides stewardship, direction, administration, and coordination for a complex business plan. This individual works closely with the Director to ensure the development, stewardship and utilization of all resources are aligned with the department, division, and University strategic plans. The Financial Officer builds and nurtures relationships with key functional areas at Mount Royal University (Financial Services, Human Resources, etc.) to lead the department’s efforts to adhere to applicable laws, policies, and procedures. This individual also acts as one of five leaders of the department’s strategic plan.
As a member of the senior leadership team within the department, the Financial Officer works to advance the strategic plan of the department.
Budget leadership, development, planning, and management (55%)
- Collaborate with the Management team on the strategic planning development and implementation of the annual operating budget for the department.
- Lead the development and administration of sound fiscal policies and practices (accounts payable, accounts receivable, revenue controls including daily deposits and cash handling, etc.).
- Monthly and annual reconciliation of department balance sheets and year-end procedures.
- Develop and manage strategies for all year-end procedures for two very distinct areas.
- Direct the development, implementation, and monitoring of a coordinated revenue plan.
- Coordinates with the Director and Associate Directors’ Needs, Inventory, and Facilities plans.
- Reconcile the Cougars Athletics Fund with the Travel and Office Administrator.
- First point of contact for the Finance Department, Supply Chain, and PCI form.
- Support the advancement of services to students while balancing entrepreneurial activity.
- Build and nurture an athletic and recreation community to enhance lives and economic sustainability.
- Identify key performance indicators and metrics for programs and services, including systems(s) to collect supporting data.
- Utilize a wide variety of statistical and interpretive approaches to data analysis, fiscal monitoring, and reporting.
- Support allocating resources for assessment, evaluation, and research activity.
- Identify ways to streamline and improve efficiencies.
- Research and remain current with emerging trends in products and processes that promote environmental sustainability and stewardship, and incorporate them into departmental business/budget plans.
- Work with the appropriate areas, and personnel on overseeing grants for CAR.
- Assist in the development of business plans for the Physical Resources/Expansion Committee.
- Developing and maintaining supplier relationships by ensuring ongoing communication and spending checks related to payments and any outstanding balances.
Human Resources & Staff Leadership (15%)
- Recruit, hire, supervise, assess and develop the Travel and Office Administrator and casual staff and consultants in the administrative area.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of department payroll guidelines and procedures in conjunction with institutional policies and procedures.
- Serve as a point of contact for HR institutional compliance.
- Establish and promote a climate of openness and approachability when resolving highly sensitive and complex issues.
- Oversee the office management, works with the Travel and Office Administrator ensuring all aspects of the office are professionally organized and operating.
Technology Support and Service (10%)
- Work with IT and institutional Finance dept. to ensure the department is PCI compliant.
- Work with various areas on refunds (ex. memberships, program registration) when required.
- This position works collaboratively with Information Technology Service Departments in system administration, training coordination, IT inventory and purchase recommendations and coordination.
- First point of contact for all CAR personnel for technical support requests (hardware and software), training support, system-controlled access, and data integrity/reporting issues.
- Financial Module: Troubleshooting, escalation, and resolution: analysis to determine the source of issues (user error, training, documentation, system bug, or known defect), liaise with internal or external stakeholders to identify, track and resolve the issue.
- Coordinate the inventory, maintenance, and upgrading of department hardware and software in accordance with university plans.
- Advance the use of technology to support a culture that resolves concerns in a timely fashion in accordance with appropriate compliance, policies, and procedures.
- Participate in any IT or Student Systems training to ensure connection and currency of department technology to the institutional plan.
Strategic Planning (10%)
- Steward strategic planning development and implementation for Athletics and Recreation.
- Promote a shared vision that drives departmental, divisional, and institutional short-term and long-term planning and ongoing organizational work.
- Assist with the assessment of the strategic plan, student and employee needs, emerging opportunities, and industry trends.
- Co-lead the implementation, modifications, and progress reporting on the department’s strategic plan.
Departmental, Divisional, and Institutional Service and Planning (10%)
- Serve as the department representative for FOIPP and other compliance-related processes.
- Support department-wide impact programs to build community and engagement opportunities.
- Support the development of innovative collaborative partnerships to advance the departmental, divisional and institutional strategic reach.
- Work collaboratively to foster department-wide customer experience best practices and protocols for all service areas and staff.
- Assist the Director and work with the various areas on the department’s annual report.
- Collaborate with departments, institutional, and community partners to cultivate leadership, citizenship, and engagement opportunities for student employees and participants.
Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, accounting, or a related field
- 4 years of progressively responsible experience in related fields of business administration, financial planning, project management and business analysis.
- Significant and complex budget experience.
- Experience monitoring strategic plans’ actual performance versus planned and updating accordingly.
- Extensive computer skills including word processing, spreadsheets and google suite (or equivalent).
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead as well as adapt to changing priorities, situations and demands.
- Demonstrated commitment to and appreciation of diversity, cultural competence and global perspectives.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships and work as a member of the team.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends as needed.
What We Offer
Talented and committed employees are the driving force behind student success. We strive to be an employer of choice among Canadian post-secondary institutions.
At Mount Royal University, we recognize that people are a combination of many intersecting identities; we work to cultivate an environment that welcomes the whole person, and harnesses the strength that is available in our diversity, creating a rich and inclusive workplace.
Investing in the learning and development of our employees benefits the individual and the University. A variety of services, resources and programs encourage a healthy, productive workplace. Mount Royal University offers a competitive total compensation package including health and dental benefits, pension, health and personal spending accounts, paid vacation, winter holiday closure, personal days and a free membership in our fully equipped recreation centre.
Our campus offers the convenience of a full medical clinic, dentist and pharmacy, as well as a variety of wellness services such as physiotherapists and massage therapists. Campus Recreation offers many activities, including personal training, climbing, aquatics, sports and certifications for students, employees and the public.
MRU supports full immunization as the best way to protect yourself and our campus community and strongly recommends vaccination against COVID-19.
Salary: $2,455.75 – $2,554.38 semi-monthly
Closing Date: Open until suitable candidate is found
A cover letter and resume should be submitted in one .pdf document. Please title your .pdf document as follows: [Last Name], [Requisition Number], [Document Title].pdf (ex. Smith, 999999, CV.pdf).