Expression of Interest – Board of Directors
Canadian Women & Sport, formerly the Canadian Association for the Advancement of Women and Sport and Physical Activity (CAAWS), is looking for dynamic and skilled leaders to join our Board of Directors. Canadian Women & Sport is seeking nominations for individuals to fill six positions to be elected to the Canadian Women & Sport Board of Directors at the 2020 Annual General Meeting on September 15, 2020.
Canadian Women & Sport is a Multisport Service Organization that partners with sport organizations, governments, and leaders to build better sport through gender equity. We’re experts on systemic change and strive to build a stronger, more equitable sport system for girls and women and for all Canadians.
Canadian Women & Sport champions women and girls in every arena, from the field of play to the boardroom. By challenging the status quo, we’re dedicated to working towards a sport system that creates the conditions for girls and women to thrive as leaders in sport and in their communities.
The current Canadian Women & Sport Board consists of:
Nathalie Cook, Chair
Tanya Mruck, Vice-Chair
Althea Arsenault, Director-at-Large
Bill Cooper, Director-at-Large
Deidra Dionne, Director-at-Large
Rochelle Grayson, Director-at-Large
Leanne Nicolle, Director-at-Large
Rebecca Shanks, Director-at-Large
Camille Wallace, Director-at-Large
The following terms expire as of September 15, 2020:
1. Chair, Nathalie Cook
2. Director-at-Large, Althea Arsenault
3. Director-at-Large, Bill Cooper
4. Director-at-Large, Deidra Dionne
5. Director-at-Large, Rochelle Grayson
6. Director-at-Large, Leanne Nicolle
The Nominations Committee is seeking candidates for six Director at Large positions with any combination of the following competencies:
• Sport systems knowledge, with preference for Provincial/Territorial and/or local sport leadership experience including grassroots club and Usport
• Finance / Risk Management experience
• Government Relations experience in Ottawa
• Revenue Generation experience
• Digital marketing experience
• National corporate or NPO experience
• Bilingual (French – English)
• Geographical representation across Canada, with particular interest in Quebec, the Prairies, and Northern Canada (Territories).
• Reflecting our commitment to equity and diversity, we encourage individuals belonging to the following groups to self-declare when submitting your statement of interest:
o Indigenous peoples (First Nations – includes Status, Treaty or Non-Status, Metis and Inuit)
o Visible minorities (includes people (other than Indigenous) who are non-white regardless of place of birth)
o Individuals with a disability
o LGBTQI2S+ individuals
o Individuals who identify as men are encouraged to apply
Term Limits and Responsibilities:
Board terms are for two years with a maximum of three consecutive terms. Meetings are held quarterly including one to two face-to-face meetings (1 day) in Toronto and two to three conference calls (2 hours), typically during working hours.
Board member responsibilities include:
• guidance and leadership to the CEO and staff as they implement the strategic and operational plans;
• participation in committees such as the revenue generation, marketing and communications, and finance committees;
• reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings;
• approving annual budget and audit reports;
• contributing to the CEO annual evaluation;
• representing Canadian Women & Sport to stakeholders and acting as an ambassador to the organization.
Individuals of any gender who are 18 years of age or older, have the power under law to contract, who are not an employee or paid contractor of Canadian Women & Sport, and have an interest/passion for creating participation and leadership opportunities for girls and women in sport and physical activity may be nominated.
• March 11, 2020: Call for Candidates
• April 13, 2020: Close of Call for Candidates
• August 24, 2020: Confirmed nominations provided to the Canadian Women & Sport Membership
• September 8-14, 2020: Voting by the Membership
• September 15, 2020: Newly elected Directors introduced at Annual General Meeting
If you meet these requirements, offer our desired key competencies, and are interested in contributing your expertise to our dynamic and growing organization, please send a resume and statement of interest by April 13, 2020 to Rebecca Shanks, Chair, Canadian Women & Sport Nominations Committee, c/o Allison Sandmeyer-Graves, CEO at email@example.com.
Inquiries for additional information about the Canadian Women & Sport Board of Directors should be directed to Allison Sandmeyer-Graves at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, please visit the following pages:
• Canadian Women & Sport Website
• Canadian Women & Sport Strategic Plan
• Canadian Women & Sport Board of Directors