Total Compensation – Salary & Benefits
$48,000 – $51,000 (for 0.5 time position)
Pickleball Canada Organization
Application Deadline Date
March 8, 2021
Expected Start Date
By April 30, 2021
Term Employee – one year with possibility of extension
VP, Operations & Administration
Greater Toronto or Ottawa areas, Ontario
Apply via Email
Pickleball is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. And pickleball has great potential to become a welcoming, inclusive and accessible sport for all, for life.
Pickleball Canada is focused on developing a dynamic, integrated system that promotes participation, competition and excellence in pickleball.
Pickleball Canada has experienced a 300% growth in membership since 2016. Our comparatively new and developing organization is now ready to hire its first executive director.
We’re looking for an outstanding strategic and visionary leader — with a proven track record of making an impact and getting results.
Description of the Job
The Executive Director (ED) will lead and manage the operations of the Pickleball Canada Organization in accordance with its constitution, by-laws, governance structure and strategic direction.
The ED reports to the Executive Committee and the Board of Pickleball Canada. The ED is accountable to the Board for implementing decisions made by the Board and will be evaluated against a set of agreed-upon key performance indicators.
The ED is responsible for managing and supporting processes that result in the effective implementation of the 2021-2023 Strategic Plan.
The ED will ensure that Pickleball Canada tackles its sport development goals for recreational, competitive and high performance pickleball.
The ED will oversee, guide and support the execution and roll-out of:
- the Pickleball Long Term Player Development Plan
- a web-based, integrated management platform (National System)
- the development of community pickleball NETworks and local club structures
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Safe Sport initiatives
- National Coaching Certification Program
- National Officiating Program
- programs for children, youth and other under-represented populations
- communications, social media and marketing initiatives.
The ED will build and strengthen relationships with provincial/territorial pickleball organizations and allied associations, partners and stakeholders.
The ED is responsible for implementing plans and initiatives that result in Pickleball Canada securing sustained revenue from sponsorships and other sources.
The ED is responsible for managing strategic partnerships with allied national sports organizations.
The ED is responsible for building and maintaining relationships with:
- Sport Canada, Canada Sport for Life Society, True Sport Foundation, Canadian Women & Sport and the Public Health Agency of Canada
- key associations within the parks & recreation, physical education, physical literacy, active living, sports tourism, and healthy communities sectors.
The ED will lead Pickleball Canada efforts to meet eligibility requirements for Sport Canada funding.
The ED has responsibility for Pickleball Canada administration regarding day-to-day operations, planning and policy development, financial management, organizational effectiveness, insurance and risk management, translation processes, and strategic communications and partnerships.
The ED works with, and provides support to the Board of Directors, Committee Chairs and other volunteers, and serves as the primary point of contact for the organization.
The Executive Director position of Pickleball Canada is an opportunity for someone who has:
- A minimum of five to seven years of experience and success in sports administration, management and leadership
- Extensive experience in program planning and operations
- Skills in office systems and procedures, Google Suite.
The ability to communicate in French is desirable but not essential.
Post-secondary degree in sports administration, business or related field.
The successful candidate will have a skill set, knowledge base and personal characteristics necessary to be a high profile leader for Pickleball Canada.
Strategy and Delivery. A strategic thinker who also gets things done.
Organizational Development. Knowledge and skills regarding board governance, talent management, volunteer recruitment and coordination, and succession planning.
Leading People and Building Teams. Ability to lead individuals, and manage groups to work toward common interests.
Partnerships. Capacity to establish strong relationships and strategic alliances.
Marketing and Communication. Ability to guide and support communications, social media and marketing initiatives.
Knowledge of Sport. Extensive knowledge of the sport delivery system in Canada.
Financial and Budget Management. Skills in guiding and supporting board members in financial planning, budget management, and other administrative and business-related areas.
- Ability to problem-solve, adapt to changing conditions, and manage opportunities and challenges
- Self-starter, with a take-the-initiative reputation
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Professional attitude and approach
- Analytical, collaborative, flexible
- Action oriented and resourceful
- Someone who gets things done, with good process
- Ability to communicate well and make good decisions with tact and resolve
- Positive, passionate and hard-working.
Work is primarily carried-out remotely, in the Executive Director’s home office. Some office set-up support may be provided.
Participation in regularly, scheduled meetings during evenings (approx. three to four per month) will be required.
Occasional, scheduled overnight travel and away-from-home work will be required.
Expression of Interest
Please send a cover letter and resume by March 8, 2021 to:
In advance, we thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.