Are you looking for the opportunity to lead a National Organization as we play a crucial role in supporting high school athletics? Do you pride yourself on strong interpersonal, organizational, and tech skills?
The CIAAA’s next Executive Director will be a creative-thinking, driven individual who thrives both in self-directed and collaborative settings. If you want a dynamic, challenging, and rewarding role, please consider
submitting an application.
Location: Office within high-school athletic association in Burnaby BC, Edmonton AB, or Regina SK
Employment Type: Full-Time, 37.5 hours per week.
Start Date: January 2021 (ideal candidate will be available for training throughout December 2020)
Salary: Sector competitive salary commensurate with experience, plus RRSP matching and comprehensive benefits package.
About the Canadian Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association
The CIAAA is a not-for-profit organization that serves as a professional development and one-stop support association for secondary school Athletic Directors in Canada.
Our Mission is to “promote educational athletics through the professional development of athletic administrators with a focus on character and leadership. Our goal is to support schools in building positive athletic environments that enhance the learning experience for all students.”
- Oversee all CIAAA services to members from Alberta Schools’ Athletic Association (ASAA), BC School Sports (BCSS), and Saskatchewan High Schools Athletic Association (SHSAA).
- Work with the Board of Directors, committees, and other individuals to lead and coordinate the continued development, implementation, and evaluation of a professional development program for school athletic administrators.
- Liaise with all major partners in the delivery of professional development programming, including ASAA, BCSS, SHSAA, School Sport Canada (SSC), and our American counterpart the National Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association (NIAAA).
- Develop and adhere to annual budget and safeguard strong financial position of the organization.
- Coordinate an annual National Athletic Directors Conference.
- Oversee and maintain CIAAA.ca, Social Media platforms, and the CIAAA Resource Bank, regularly researching for and uploading information and documents/tools of value to school athletic staff.
- Coordinate all aspects of meetings for the CIAAA Board of Directors and for the annual general meeting, including taking and distributing minutes as appropriate.
- Represent the association at various events and presentations as required.
- Execute on the priorities of the CIAAA Strategic Plan and work with the Board of Directors to adjust and supplement the plan as required. View the CIAAA Strategic Plan here.
• Provide strategic leadership in keeping with the CIAAA’s vision and mission
• Work collaboratively with Board/committee members to implement and evaluate the Strategic Plan
• Complete and submit all work necessary to keep CIAAA in good standing with Industry Canada
• Work collaboratively with provincial high school sport associations to expand offerings across Canada
• Draft and manage the Association’s annual budget
• Pursue and maintain available grant opportunities at Federal, Provincial, and Local levels
• Pursue and maintain corporate partnerships and negotiate terms and activations strategies, ensuring effective delivery of all sponsor benefits.
- Manage and delegate responsibilities for new course development and course updates for the Leadership Training Program,
and for the procurement of other professional development content
- Act as the lead for all curriculum development, evaluation, and review
- Develop and maintain relationships with universities to attain formal Masters level recognition for the CIAAA’s programming, and with the NIAAA, specifically surrounding the Leadership Training ProgramMember Management
• Manage the CIAAA member database tracking course completitions, certifications, registrations, etc.
• Field member inquiries as the main point of contact for the CIAAA through all communication media
• Collect content and develop regular online newsletters for distribution (8-9 annually)
- Serve as Conference Chair for National Athletic Directors Conference and other major programming opportunities across the country. Lead and direct committee members and volunteers through the conference planning and hosting process.
- Negotiate contracts with conference/event venues, hotels, and other event-related suppliersTechnology Management
• Update and manage CIAAA.ca, the CIAAA Resource Bank, our Twitter account, and pursue new Social Media opportunities
• Execute or coordinate document production for promotional material, conference packages, etc.
Critical Skills, Abilities, and Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s Degree or related experience in Sport or Recreation Administration or Management, Communications, or Marketing or Tourism Management.
- Ability in communication both verbally and in writing, to present concepts and ideas to large and small groups, including interpersonal communication style and relationship-building skills to influence and develop mutually beneficial relationships and outcomes.
- Strong organizational skills including ability to manage multiple tasks on an ongoing basis and ensure adherence to a organizational budget across all revenue and expense streams.
- Strong technological skills to manage website, host online webinars, and create online newsletters a must. Skill in Adobe InDesign and Photoshop or similar to develop visual content an asset.
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles relating to not-for-profit and volunteer-based organizations. Experience working in Board settings an asset.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as demands fluctuate, as well as travel on behalf of the organization regionally and nationally as required.
- Knowledge of Canadian School Sport and experience in Educational Athletics and/or Educational Leadership are assets.
How to Apply
Deadline for applications is Friday, October 30. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to current CIAAA Executive Director Drew Hanson by email at email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for interview will be contacted.