Communications and Digital Media Manager
Wheelchair Basketball Canada (WBC) has an immediate opening for a dynamic, organized, and detail-oriented team player with exceptional communication and interpersonal skills to propel the organization forward in the areas of communications, public relations, and digital media. The Communications and Digital Media Manager is a full-time contract position that drives excellence in the development, support and promotion of wheelchair basketball programs and services for all Canadians.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Communications and Digital Media Manager plays a critical and dynamic role in the growth of wheelchair basketball through strategies that promote WBC products and services, increase publicity of Canada’s National Wheelchair Basketball Teams, and enhance brand awareness through online strategies and digital content.
Working closely with WBC staff, provincial member organizations, National Team athletes, media, partners, and other internal and external stakeholders they are focused on compelling storytelling that delivers increased media coverage, as well as social media reach and engagement including coverage of marquee Team Canada events such as the Tokyo 2021 Paralympics and Ottawa 2026 World Championships. The Communications and Digital Manager is responsible for the development and implementation of comprehensive plans and initiatives that support the strategic objectives of the organization with a particular emphasis on increasing awareness, driving engagement, and supporting revenue generation initiatives.
Wheelchair Basketball Canada is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, family status or disability.
The employer welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- Develop, and implement innovative communications plans and initiatives that focus on the growth of the sport through enhanced relationships with key internal and external audiences resulting in increased brand awareness, earned media, and digital reach and engagement;
- Oversee WBC’s digital properties, including the production and distribution of creative digital content for the WBC website and social media channels;
- Create and distribute content and promotional materials that drive participation and engagement in WBC programs and services;
- Manage WBC digital assets and multimedia, including graphics, images, and video content;
- Play a key role in the planning, promotion and delivery of WBC events including specific communications plans and initiatives for special events, domestic championships, fundraising events, and activities at WBC’s National Training Centre in Toronto;
- Provide ongoing communications support and liaise with Canada’s National Wheelchair Basketball Teams with a focus on their Team Canada’s participation in major international competitions such as the Paralympics and World Championships;
- Manage public relations activities including the development and distribution of key messages with appropriate spokespeople internal audiences;
- Build and maintain relationships with key media contacts, maintain updated local, national, and international contact lists and manage media monitoring efforts;
- Oversee media outreach, actively pitch stories, respond to requests, and organize content gathering opportunities, media events and press conferences where required;
- Research and write media releases and other content including distribution of imagery and multimedia for editorial purposes;
- Oversee the production of WBC publications, including annual reports and event programs;
- Coordinate translation of all communications materials to provide content in both official languages;
- Provide specific administrative assistance to the Executive Director as required.
- The Communications and Digital Media Manager shall also undertake other tasks, activities and responsibilities as he/she deems to be appropriate to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, and as agreed to by the Executive Director.
- All employees must be aware that as an employee of WBC, he/she is an ambassador of the organization to the WBC membership, and to the national and international sport community and must represent the organization in a professional and appropriate manner at all times.
- Exceptional writing skills a must;
- Post-secondary degree in marketing, communications, journalism, or a related discipline;
- Minimum of 3-5 years of work experience in communications, marketing, journalism, media relations, social media, or a related field;
- Experience working with a sports organization is considered an asset;
- Thorough working knowledge of social media and digital marketing strategies, current trends and analytics;
- Knowledge of CMS website maintenance and e-newsletter production;
- Experience researching, writing, editing and producing content for online and print properties;
- Knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator or Premiere;
- Photography experience and knowledge of photo editing are considered an asset;
- Videography experience and knowledge of video editing are considered an asset;
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, time management, and problem solving skills;
- Ability to take direction and multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Creative self-starter with flexibility and initiative;
- Fluency in both official languages;
- A passion for sport and knowledge of basketball are a must.
Terms of Contract
- Full-time position (40 hours per week);
- Travel may be required;
- Located in Toronto / Ottawa;
- Remote work indefinite
The application deadline is Sunday May 16, 2021. We thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to the attention of:
Wheelchair Basketball Canada
Suite M1062 27 Auriga
Nepean, Ontario K2E 0B1