Chief Sport Officer
Golf Ontario is a Provincial Sports Organization and the governing body for golf in Ontario. With over 80 years of history and tradition, serving 100,000 members, Golf Ontario is one of the largest golf associations in the world. We strive to partner with a connected golf community to inspire the game of golf for all Ontarians, including youth, women and underserved communities.
With our vision of Golf for All, Golf Ontario is committed to creating a diverse and safe environment within our organization and across the sport of golf.
ROLE: Chief Sport Officer
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
STATUS: Full Time / Permanent
COMPENSATION: Competitive compensation package including comprehensive benefits will be commensurate with level of experience, skills and qualifications.
As a transformative leader, the Chief Sport Officer (CSO) will be a passionate advocate for the game of golf in Ontario. In collaboration with key stakeholders, the CSO will build and oversee Golf Ontario’s high-performance program and create a world-leading participation initiative that will shape lives by connecting people to positive golf experiences across Ontario.
The CSO will champion Golf Ontario’s Strategic Plan driven by increasing participation and performance in golf. They will provide leadership of a clear and unified strategy in alignment with the vision, mission and values of Golf Ontario. The role requires extensive communication and collaboration with colleagues and stakeholders; delivery of resources, education and innovative programs that will engage golfers of all ages and skill levels; and championing the development of Ontario athletes so they can perform consistently and reach their highest potential in the sport.
The CSO is responsible for the oversight, strategic development and operational excellence of Membership, Performance & Competitions and Golf Ontario’s Participation programs within a safe and
inclusive sport system.
Hybrid work from home environment, time required inthe office in Uxbridge, ON with travel throughout the province.
- Serves as the primary operational resource to the CEO and Board of Directors by ensuring that effective reporting tools are in place to prepare monthly and annual reports.
- Contributes to the ongoing implementation and stewardship of Golf Ontario’s Strategic Plan, including the articulation of multi-year and annual operational plans to achieve the established performance objectives, while making appropriate adjustments as required.
- Demonstrate integrity and ethical leadership to enhance program delivery and ensure welcoming and engaging environments for all golfers in accordance with Golf Ontario’s Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (ED&I) strategy, and Safe Sport policy.
- Lead government relations stewardship and grant management including responsibility for researching, preparing, submitting, and managing grant proposals/reports that support Golf Ontario participation and performance objectives.
- Act in the best interests of the sport and Golf Ontario as a member of the Executive Leadership Team for Golf Ontario on general business matters and budgeting ensuring fiscal responsibility for all Golf Ontario programs and services.
- Build and lead a high performing operational team that achieve superior results and are motivated to drive the sport forward and achieve the organization’s strategic goals.
- Represent Golf Ontario externally with key industry partners – specifically Golf Canada (GC), Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport, PGA of Canada and others as appropriate
- Execute other duties related to the nature of the position, as determined from time to time by the CEO including special projects or initiatives.
- Lead and work directly with Golf Ontario Regional Managers to develop the Regional Support Strategy (RSS) that facilitates facility partnerships, collaborations and the expansion of participation
programming and recreational play opportunities within all serviced regions of the province.
- Working with the Director of Participation, foster innovation and demand operational excellence in the delivery of all Participation events, programs, initiatives and services in support of Golf Ontario’s vision (Golf for All) and ED&I strategy.
- Work closely with the CEO and We Are Golf industry partners to utilize golf and health research to enhance public perception of the sport and drive individual and family participation in alignment with the association’s Strategic priorities.
- Provide leadership and work closely with Director of Competitions & Performance to monitor the execution of Golf Ontario’s Performance strategy and the Junior Golf Pathway systems including athlete and coach development, performance programming and the Team Ontario program, in alignment with Golf Ontario’s Strategic Plan and Long Term Athlete Development plan.
- Support the Director of Competitions & Performance to elevate Golf Ontario championships to premier, nationally recognized tournaments that are must-attend events for players, volunteers and partners.
- Promote and develop collaborative and aligned relationships to support Golf Ontario’s Performance strategy with Golf Canada and other key stakeholders, including coaches, tour/event organizers, golf facilities, and funding partners such as the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Membership and the Chief Marketing & Development Officer to lead, improve and continually assess membership policies, benefits and partnership deliverables on all matters that support membership growth and the growth of the game including the core services of Course Rating and Handicapping.
- Provide direction and support the Director of Membership to lead the joint Golf Ontario/Golf Canada membership team to serve our members, and deliver on strategic objectives through annual facility renewals, customer service support, recruitment and onboarding, and upkeep of the Facility Relationship Management system (CRM).
- Champion the resources to drive value and expansion of Golf Ontario membership while strengthening alliances with member facilities, groups and leagues by overcoming barriers that impede membership growth.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum 10 years of progressive leadership experience gained primarily with a professional or amateur sports organization or business involved in the sporting industry.
- Undergraduate degree or diploma, preferably in Business Administration, Sports Management, or a related field.
- Excellent relationship-building skills and ability leverage personal network and reputation in support of the organization’s vision and mission.
- Strong communication and presentation skills and ability to articulate an organization’s vision at all levels, both internally and externally.
- Solid project-management skills and effective time-management and prioritization skills.
- Ability to manage operating and tactical matters from a solution-oriented standpoint while focusing on longer-term strategic imperatives.
- Proven ability to attract, retain and develop highly qualified individuals in a committed and energized team that are encouraged to achieve outstanding results.
- Passion for working in sport and/or golf.