Championship Operations Assistant
Title: Championship Operations Assistant
Reports to: Championship Manager
Location: PGA of Canada National Office / Remote (hybrid)
Status: Contract / Paid Internship
Ideal Start Date: May 1, 2023
End Date: February 10, 2023
The Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA) of Canada is the governing body for the 3,800 PGA professionals that interact with the 5-million golfers in Canada at over 1,500 golf courses. Operating as a not-for-profit organization, the PGA of Canada organizes golf tournaments, education seminars and trade shows, with the goal of advancing the careers of golf professionals throughout the country. Founded in 1911, It is the second oldest professional golf association in the world.
The PGA of Canada is looking for one (1) qualified applicant to serve as a Championship Operations Assistant within the Championships & Events department. Today, there are five (5) national championships for different categories of membership, allowing members an opportunity to compete, socialize, and supplement financial earnings. This individual will be required to travel to and help conduct three (3) national championships, in addition to providing administrative support to the Championship Manager. Opportunities to support other PGA of Canada events and initiatives (ex: RBC PGA Scramble) may also be available.
This is a four (4) month paid internship position. The responsibilities and tasks are varied, the environment is dynamic and collaborative, and the job can be rewarding with a lot of autonomy and opportunities to gain new skills.
The Championship Operations Assistant will be reporting to the Championship Manager and will be working alongside a dedicated team of golf enthusiasts at the Acton, Ontario headquarters.
• Support the Championship Manager with all aspects of the PGA of Canada’s national championships.
• Manage equipment inventory, maintenance, and shipping schedule.
• Maintain championship information on the PGA of Canada website and Golf Genius (online tournament management platform), updating as required.
• Provide on-site support and facilitate volunteer orientation/training sessions at each championship.
• Tournament set-up, preparation, and tear down of equipment and signage on the golf course and around the host facility.
• Golf course set-up and preparation for championship play (ex: course marking).
PGA OF CANADA
13450 DUBLIN LINE, ACTON, ON L7J 2W7
TEL: 1-800-782-5764 FAX: 519-853-5449
• Deliver customer excellence to all partners, host facilities, volunteers and members via email, phone, and in-person.
• Other duties or special assignments, as required.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, & ABILITIES
• University and/or College students (3rd or 4th year) or recent graduates preferred.
• Willingness to work flexible work hours and during inclement weather conditions.
• Willingness to endure physical labour (ex: heavy lifting) on a frequent basis.
• Must have an interest in travel and spending extended periods of time away from home.
• Proven ability to work within a team environment.
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate to staff, members, volunteers, stakeholders, and the public in a pleasant and professional manner.
• Positive attitude with the ability to self-start and take an active leadership role.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
• Bilingualism (English and French) is not required but considered an asset.
• Golf knowledge or experience is not required but considered an asset.
Note: The PGA of Canada’s regular hours of work are 35 hours per week, namely Monday to Friday, 8 hours a day (8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.) and 5 days a week including a one-hour lunch. However, the demands of your position may require working varied and irregular hours, and may include working weekends and/or holidays to meet the objectives of your employment.
PGA of Canada – Championship Operations Assistant
13450 Dublin Line
Acton, ON L7J 2W7
One (1) position available. Please send your cover letter and resume with “Championship Operations Assistant” stated in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org (NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE) by 11:59 p.m. (EST) on February 10, 2023. The PGA of Canada thanks all applicants, however, only those under consideration will be contacted and invited for an interview.
The PGA of Canada is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization as well as providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request.